Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In Home Office Expenses section, there are 2 screens asking for entire home, and home office only, expenses. Both have Real Estate Taxes for "entire home". Is it correct?

From my understanding, the "home office ONLY" screen asks about expenses only applicable to the home office area. I don't understand why the instruction of Real Estate Taxes is telling users "If you paid real estate (property) taxes on your entire home, enter this amount here...". This instruction seems like a copy-paste from the previous step of entering whole-house expenses, and is contradictory to the overall instruction on top of the screen "Tell us about your total expenses for this home office only". I just want to make sure I understand what to enter in the Real Estate Taxes box, the taxes I paid for the "entire home", or 0. If I hit Continue, the next screen of Summary shows Home Office Only, and Entire Home, numbers side-by-side. The Real Estate Taxes row would look confusing, if both numbers are the "Entire Home" amount.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

In Home Office Expenses section, there are 2 screens asking for entire home, and home office only, expenses. Both have Real Estate Taxes for "entire home". Is it correct?

I agree that the entry screens for this area are confusing and seemingly duplicate the property tax entry.

You should only enter the property tax amount for the whole house on the whole house screen.  It will then allocate a portion to the home office based on the square feet of the office.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I agree that the entry screens for this area are confusing and seemingly duplicate the property tax entry.

You should only enter the property tax amount for the whole house on the whole house screen.  It will then allocate a portion to the home office based on the square feet of the office.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies