turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Importing deductions fails when I try to authorize from inside the desktop version, using the same US/PW and 2nd factor. The TT program refuses to send the text/email/call (tried them all; it works fine here)...Any suggestions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Importing deductions fails when I try to authorize from inside the desktop version, using the same US/PW and 2nd factor. The TT program refuses to send the text/email/call (tried them all; it works fine here)...Any suggestions?

Normally, when you log into ItsDeductible directly, does it ask you for 2-factor authentication?   You said you are able to log directly into ItsDeductible website without any problem.

Sign out of everything.  Out of this forum, out of your online account, out of ItsDeductible.   Close your browser.

Then try the import again from inside your desktop TurboTax.  It should first ask "Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online?"

When you say "yes", you should get a popup to enter your User ID and password.   Make sure it's the one you normally use to log into ItsDeductible Online.

When you enter the User ID and password into that popup window, what happens next?   Does it then ask you to confirm a factor though email, text, or phone call?   And then you receive nothing?  

View solution in original post

8 Replies

By "importing deductions", do you mean you are wanting to import donations from the ItsDeductible website?   And it's important to know if you are using the Mac or Windows version.

I didn't know it would ask for 2-factor info when merely importing from ItsDeductible into TurboTax.  I haven't heard of that before.

Or are you using a Mac and have a "keychain password" issue?

To be clear, its desktop TT 2018 premier on a windows 7 machine.  Logging in online and the identical 2nd factor authorization works just fine.

I even turned off my VPN.  It plainly can connect to intuit b/c it updates and when I try to do this, it knows the UN/PW is correct.  And I'm (obviously) already signed in here at the same time.  WT...?

Normally, when you log into ItsDeductible directly, does it ask you for 2-factor authentication?   You said you are able to log directly into ItsDeductible website without any problem.

Sign out of everything.  Out of this forum, out of your online account, out of ItsDeductible.   Close your browser.

Then try the import again from inside your desktop TurboTax.  It should first ask "Do you have an account with ItsDeductible Online?"

When you say "yes", you should get a popup to enter your User ID and password.   Make sure it's the one you normally use to log into ItsDeductible Online.

When you enter the User ID and password into that popup window, what happens next?   Does it then ask you to confirm a factor though email, text, or phone call?   And then you receive nothing?  

Just the ticket- killed the browser (nuking all cookies, history, fingerprint, and so on) and TT, then re-opened TT and was able to log in to ItsDed'ble (again, the UN and PW were accepted, it simpy would not send any 2FA-  SMS, email, or phone.   

The cause of this issue may be that intuit simply doesn't like getting logged into twice... or the code monkeys (for whom I have the highest regards, respect and affection- really) need a break so simple crap isn't missed like this.  It has been repeatable, at least for me.   

And for posterity, again the problem was after accepting the UN and PW, it would try and fail to send the 2FA.  

I'm glad that resolved it, and that you could complete the import.   I haven't seen anyone ask before about a problem with 2-factor authentication with that log-in interface from desktop TurboTax to import from ItsDeductible.

I'll ask fellow SuperUser @ SteamTrain to comment here if he has seen any posts about 2-factor authentication being a problem with that import process.   Maybe it doesn't need the second factor in this case so didn't send one.  But in any case, it sounds like you were able to finally complete the process.

Sorry Guys....don't know if 2FA is causing all the problems or not.  (I haven't set myself up for that.....yeah, know I really should).   Probably should see if any of the other SUs have it set up, and whether ItsDed downloads work with the most recent Rev of TurboTax desktop.  

Time to Call Customer Support and get an investigation ticket going?  Won't help with today's deadline though for anyone else struggling with that.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies