turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

swslusser

Mortgage points

I have already filed my taxes but I received a corrected 1098 form from my lender. The original 1098 form does not list the points paid on the purchase of our home, the corrected form does. The points were paid through a relocation company ( via my husband's employer and included in his income).  Are the points deductible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Mortgage points

If the payment of points was included in your W-2, then yes you can deduct the points. You can amend your original return, but wait until it is fully processed.

If you had a refund/tax payment due wait until you receive the refund or the payment is processed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Mortgage points

If the payment of points was included in your W-2, then yes you can deduct the points. You can amend your original return, but wait until it is fully processed.

If you had a refund/tax payment due wait until you receive the refund or the payment is processed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jesst1289
Returning Member

Mortgage points

Hi Paula,

My situation is the same...my husbands employer paid the mortgage points directly to the lender and the amount is included in my husbands w2 as income. However, I recently got a corrected 1098 from the lender now saying zero for points paid. Even though there was $6400 as points paid by my husbands employer. The original 1098 I received had the $6400 in the points paid and I took the deduction for the points on my return. Do I need to file an amended return Bc I got a corrected 1098 from the lender??

Is there any reference to this in the tax code? I couldn’t find it anywhere? Thanks so much for your help!
Jesst1289
Returning Member

Mortgage points

Hi Paula,
@PaulaM 
My situation is the same...my husbands employer paid the mortgage points directly to the lender and the amount is included in my husbands w2 as income. However, I recently got a corrected 1098 from the lender now saying zero for points paid. Even though there was $6400 as points paid by my husbands employer. The original 1098 I received had the $6400 in the points paid and I took the deduction for the points on my return. Do I need to file an amended return Bc I got a corrected 1098 from the lender??

Is there any reference to this in the tax code? I couldn’t find it anywhere? Thanks so much for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies