turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If my ihss income is excludable does this mean i cant use it towards earned income credit

See this link:

Qualified Medicaid waiver payments on a W-2 show as earned income for EIC

@Denzillee1813

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If my ihss income is excludable does this mean i cant use it towards earned income credit

No, you CANNOT claim tax exempt income. How can you claim income that’s exempt? If you signed the form that states you’re client lives with you, then you are infact exempt! Now, if you wanted to not be exempt, perhaps you can call IHSS and cancel the paperwork you signed. Ihss will not send you a W-2 if your a parent provider which means you cannot claim

that income for the EIC purposes. 

@bellagirl33   Apparently it is changed that now you can get EIC for it.  Read this whole thread.  You enter it on line 1 wages then back it out on a later line.  Then it should give you EIC.

Sarah26

So where do you input the income? In the Job W2 section or the miscellaneous other income section? I am an IHSS care giver who lives with the person I take care of. There was another question from 2019 where is said to enter the income in the miscellaneous other types of income is that still current information ? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

To enter wage income for which you did not receive a W2 or 1099 to include for EIC on line 1.  Follow these steps to enter. 

1.  Click Federal in left hand menu

2.  Click Income & Expenses at the top of the page

3.  Scroll down to "Less Common Income"

4.  Click Show More

5.  Miscellaneous Income (Start/Revisit)

6.  Income not reported on W2 or1099 (Start/Revisit)

Then to back out the non-taxable part:

1.  Miscellaneous Income (Revisit)

2.  Other Reportable income (Start/Revisit)

3.  As Ameliesuncle shows above "...enter it in parentheses and enter “Notice 2014-7” and the nontaxable amount on the dotted line next to line 8." 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I didnt file 2018 taxes because of this can I file it now?

Ivee already filed 2019

Hal_Al
Level 15

@cclement337  

Yes. But you can not do it with with TurboTax (TT) online software.  TT, online, can only do current year returns.

You can still prepare 2017-2018 returns with TT download software.  You cannot e-file, but must print and mail. https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You can also get forms (for mailing) from the IRS. https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/prior-year

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies