turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I know I'm taking the Standard Deduction, do I still have to report mortgage interest and charitable giving?

I'm a combo of lazy and impatient.  I don't have all of my tax info, yet I know it'll be very close to last year's numbers, so I repeated last year's numbers in the itemized areas.  I'm being told I should use the Standard Deduction.

My question is this:  Does the IRS still require me to report mortgage interest, property tax paid, charitable giving, etc. if it's not being used for itemizing?  I don't think it's necessary, but I don't want to be questioned if it's missing.

Thanks...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

If I know I'm taking the Standard Deduction, do I still have to report mortgage interest and charitable giving?

No, you are not required to report your mortgage interest, property taxes, and charitable contributions. The IRS does not require you to claim these deductions. You can choose to take the standard deduction instead. However, your state refund could be lower by doing so. Keep in mind that your federal deductions carry over to your state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

No, you are not required to report your mortgage interest, property taxes, and charitable contributions. The IRS does not require you to claim these deductions. You can choose to take the standard deduction instead. However, your state refund could be lower by doing so. Keep in mind that your federal deductions carry over to your state return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies