Ronthelibrarian

If I know I'm taking the Standard Deduction, do I still have to report mortgage interest and charitable giving?

I'm a combo of lazy and impatient.  I don't have all of my tax info, yet I know it'll be very close to last year's numbers, so I repeated last year's numbers in the itemized areas.  I'm being told I should use the Standard Deduction.

My question is this:  Does the IRS still require me to report mortgage interest, property tax paid, charitable giving, etc. if it's not being used for itemizing?  I don't think it's necessary, but I don't want to be questioned if it's missing.

Thanks...

KatrinaB48

No, you are not required to report your mortgage interest, property taxes, and charitable contributions. The IRS does not require you to claim these deductions. You can choose to take the standard deduction instead. However, your state refund could be lower by doing so. Keep in mind that your federal deductions carry over to your state return.

KatrinaB48