turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lperr

If I add contributions to my HSA for 2019 can I include in them in next years return?

I am going to add some HSA contributions for the 2019 year before the deadline? Do I need to file an amendment to get benefit or may I include them in my 2020 return?  If I need to file an amendment, what is the easiest way?  Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I add contributions to my HSA for 2019 can I include in them in next years return?

you'll need to amend to take the deduction in 2019,  if you do not those 2019 contributions made in 2020 will be treated as 2020 contributions which means the maximum additional amount you can contribute for 2020 will be reduced. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Go to the following link for instructions to amend a 2019 tax return that you filed with TurboTax Online.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

An amended return has to be filed on a special form, Form 1040-X. It cannot be e-filed. You have to print it, sign it, and file it by mail. It normally takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process an amended return. However, the IRS processing centers were closed for several months because of the Covid-19 pandemic, and they did not process any mailed tax returns, including amended returns. They are just now starting to process them again, but they have reduced staff and a huge backlog, so it will be a long time before your amended return is processed.

Don't file the amended return until your first return has been accepted and you have received the original refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies