turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Identifying Paid Family Leave Tax in TurboTax

Block 14 of my W-2 shows an amount for NY PFL that represents my contribution (payroll deduction tax) that I paid to NY Paid Family Leave.  (A tax I paid, not a benefit received.) TurboTax didn't recognize "NY PFL" so it asked me to select another description from their list, else choose the description "Other - not on list below".

I read elsewhere that NY PFL should be identified as "State Disability Taxes Withheld."  So, would this correspond to TurboTax's description "NY Nonoccupational Disability Fund Tax?" 

Or perhaps it would be "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed?"

Or is "Other - not on list below" appropriate?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Enter  "Other - not classified" or  "Other – not on above list", the last choice on the drop-down list of available categories for Box 14.

You could also enter "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed". Your entry here will not affect your ability to e-file or your tax calculation. 

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.  

If you don't see a category in the TurboTax list that matches your W-2 entry (NYPFL), don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Enter  "Other - not classified" or  "Other – not on above list", the last choice on the drop-down list of available categories for Box 14.

You could also enter "Other mandatory deductible state or local tax not listed". Your entry here will not affect your ability to e-file or your tax calculation. 

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.  

If you don't see a category in the TurboTax list that matches your W-2 entry (NYPFL), don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you. 

Perfect.  Thanks!

For anyone who is still having this issue with your 2023 tax return, there is an option "NY Mandatory Paid Family Leave Tax" you can select in Box 14 in Turbotax.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies