turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dpwitch

I refinanced my home and paid points on the new loan. The lender can't get me a 1098. How do I enter the points that I paid into Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

I refinanced my home and paid points on the new loan. The lender can't get me a 1098. How do I enter the points that I paid into Turbotax?

As far as filing taxes goes, claiming a tax deduction for mortgage points is a fairly straightforward process. Mortgage points are considered an itemized deduction and are claimed on Schedule A of Form 1040. Here are the specifics:

• Usually, your lender will send you Form 1098, showing how much you paid in mortgage points and mortgage interest
  • Transfer this amount to line 10 of Form 1040 Schedule A
  • If any of your points were not included on Form 1098, enter the additional amount you paid on line 12 of Form 1040 Schedule A

For many taxpayers, the process really is this simple. In some cases, though, calculating and deducting mortgage points can be tricky. With TurboTax, just answer a few simple questions and we can help you get the proper deduction for your mortgage points.

when you refinance the points are NOT immediately deductible. they must be amortized over the term of the new mortgage.  there may be a partial exception. points related to any portion of the refi used to substantially improve your home are deductible. 

Beeone
Returning Member

Update, my mistake line 12 is in TurboTax program worksheet. I was looking at the IRS version.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies