turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a second stimulus payment but not until January 2021. Do I still add it to what I'm claiming for 2020 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I received a second stimulus payment but not until January 2021. Do I still add it to what I'm claiming for 2020 taxes?

Yes, you will record the $600 you received in January as the second stimulus payment. 

1. Log into turbo tax
  2. Click on Federal Review 
  3. Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount>continue
  4. Next screen asks Did you get a stimulus payment? Yes
  5. Then a drop down will appear and this is where you enter your first and second round stimulus payments.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why is this recorded against 2020 taxes when it wasn't received until 2021?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You are not being taxed on this, it is just being reconciled with your 2020 return, regardless of when it was received.  If you didn't receive your full payment, it is being added to your refund,

So by the looks of it, even though we're not getting taxed on these amounts, we're really having to pay back the amount of the stimulus received.  Am I seeing this right? If my mom hadn't received these stimulus, she would only have to pay $377.00 instead of $2177.00.  So these were a "loan."

MayaD
Expert Alumni

No, you are paying back the stimulus.

When you start preparing your return, TurboTax assumes that you haven't received  the stimulus payments, so it adds the stimulus payments to your refund.

Once you enter the amount of stimulus that you've actually received, it adjusts your refund (amount due) to account for that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies