turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I purchased a new vehicle in Georgia last year and paid$2096.50 in ad valorem taxes. Can I claim this on my taxes under vehicle registration

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

I purchased a new vehicle in Georgia last year and paid$2096.50 in ad valorem taxes. Can I claim this on my taxes under vehicle registration

You can go back and amend to claim the registration fees.  Did you itemize in 2018?  Remember the registration fees are an itemized deduction so the deduction will only be what exceeds your standard deduction for 2018.  Additionally, you will need to print and mail the amendment.  Here is are the steps to start an amendment in TurboTax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChrisJ

Yes, you can. If you paid registration fees to a state that charges tax based on the vehicle's value, you can claim the deductible portion of those fees. However, to deduct the value-based (sometimes, ad valorem) portion of the registration fee, you must itemize your deductions using federal Schedule A. There is no way to claim this amount on the state interview.  

To add deductible car registration fees into TurboTax:

1. Go to Federal Taxes, then Deductions & Credits 
  2. Locate Cars and Other Things You Ownthen Start/Revisit Car Registration Fees

What if I paid this tax in the previous tax year? I had someone prepare my taxes in 2019 and that tax was never claimed. I purchased 2  vehicles and paid registration fees for both in 2018-State is GA.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You can go back and amend to claim the registration fees.  Did you itemize in 2018?  Remember the registration fees are an itemized deduction so the deduction will only be what exceeds your standard deduction for 2018.  Additionally, you will need to print and mail the amendment.  Here is are the steps to start an amendment in TurboTax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies