turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a irrevocable trust can deduct a $10,000 loss against $15,000 of dividends ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a irrevocable trust can deduct a $10,000 loss against $15,000 of dividends ?

What type of loss? Is this a passive loss, capital loss, business loss (which would be unlikely)?

Are you using TurboTax Business to prepare a Form 1041 for the trust?

More details are needed as your question is overly broad.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q.  Can we deduct a $10,000 loss against $15,000 of dividends ?

A. Simple answer: no. 

A capital loss can only be deducted DIRECTLY against  capital gains, including capital gains distributions (box 2a on a 1099-DIV). 

Only $3000 of Capital losses may  be deducted against ordinary income, including dividends (including "qualified" dividends).  Any excess (over $3000) is carried forward to the next year.  Although qualified dividends are taxed at long term capital gains rates, they can not be deducted directly  against capital losses. 

Note that if the $10,000 loss is a capital loss, you are distributing all of the ($15,000) dividend income to the beneficiary(ies), and this is not the final year of the trust, then then entire $10,000 loss will be carried forward to the trust's next tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies