Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cpesound

I have a 1099-DIV from a foreign entity with a FEIN listed as 00-0000000. Turbo tax keeps telling me this is invalid. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 1099-DIV from a foreign entity with a FEIN listed as 00-0000000. Turbo tax keeps telling me this is invalid. How do I fix this?

did you try completely deleting the EIN?       don't understand why TT needs it.   it is not required when efiling or filing by mail.   if you  imported the  1099 you'll have to delete it and enter it manually.    

View solution in original post

27 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You can report it under Other Income to e-file.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "other reportable income" and Enter
  • Select Jump to other reportable income
  • Next screen, Other Wages Received, select No to continue
  • Next screen, scroll down all the way to the bottom, under Other reportable income, select Start
  • Next screen, Any Other Taxable Income? select Yes to continue
  • Enter a description and the amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

did you try completely deleting the EIN?       don't understand why TT needs it.   it is not required when efiling or filing by mail.   if you  imported the  1099 you'll have to delete it and enter it manually.    

cpesound

Unfortunately this method did not allow me to enter my foreign tax credit.

I was able to file electronically entering the information as 1099-DIV.  Initially in the interview I had to enter all zeros in the FEIN field, but then during the e-file review I deleted all the zeros and left the FEIN field blank and it went through.

thank you for your reply.

cpesound

initially when entering the 1099-DIV info, TT required me to enter an FEIN, so I just entered all zeros.  When going through the e-file review, I then deleted the zeros and left the FEIN field blank, and it worked.

thanks.

brikwil

THANK YOU!  I was getting REALLY mad that TurboTax was telling me that I needed to fix those zeros, because - why PAY THEM to file for you, and present the information EXACTLY as it appears on the 1099-DIV, yet they refuse to file??  Stupid.  Your response worked for me, and I appreciate it!

TurboTax Online would NOT let me use 00-0000000 EIN from my 1099DIV.
I spent over 3 hours on the phone with TT try this and that. Nothing worked including spaces. Was allowed when I used TT download previous years. 
TT said I couldn’t e-file, only way to file was to print and mail Fed and state...Really??

Unacceptable!!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Try to enter all 9's and see if this worked. This has worked on other tax forms and IRS seemed to allow it.  Let me know if this works.

Tried zeros, nines and spaces. Online would not permit any of them. 
maybe just a flaw with Online. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Enter under "Other Income" like I explained above. 

No place for foreign tax paid. 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

There is a small box on the 1099-DIV entry screen that you have to mark to be able to see Box 7 Foreign Tax Paid.    @Baffled

Again if you use ‘Other Income’ you can’t take foreign tax credit, if you use 1099DIV, you can’t use 00-00000000 as a valid EIN. 

I was using TurboTax Online. Couldn’t resolve. 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can still claim a foreign tax credit if you check the right boxes under the Form 1116 section.  See steps below:

In TurboTax online,

• Open up your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign tax credit" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign tax credit
  • Follow prompts
  • On screen, "Tell Us About Your Foreign Taxes", do not check the first box. 
  • (First box says -you have no more foreign taxes to enter other than the 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID or a Schedule K-1)". 
  • Follow prompts
  • Choose the Income Type, select "Passive Income"
  • On screen, "Country Summary", add a country to continue
  • On screen, "Other Gross Income", enter Foreign dividends and the amount and follow prompts
  • On screen, "Foreign Taxes Paid", under foreign taxes on Other Income, enter the amount

Thank you for taking the time to explain how I should try to get around an error with TurboTax Online. I have already filed my taxes. 
To recap - I needed to be able to use the information on the 1099-DIV sent to me which included Qualified Dividends and Foreign tax paid. 
what I need now is a way to formally complain. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies