Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eretzrob

How do I avoid getting an error on form 8889-T line 1?

I graduated from college in 2017 (was a full time time student) and started a full time job in the Fall, so my parents provided more than half of my support and will be claiming me as a dependent. I was covered by a family HDHP for 8 months and my own HDHP for 4.  I (not my employer) contributed some money to my HSA which is on my W2 with code W.  Due to this combination I am getting an error on form 8889-T line 1 whether I enter Self or Family. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
beeb2012

This form has me in an endless loop. Any info I put in is wrong and I can't file
mroynan

I have the same situation!  I'm filing for my daughter who graduated.  I cannot file because this form keeps giving me an error.  I did the recommended answer and it does NOT work!
mroynan

I had to put family in line 1 and None for each month to get out of it.
bkaleri

Same problem - filing for my daughter and the recommended answer does NOT work.  Even called help line - nothing works!  I believe this is a programming error, but phone help recommended requesting a corrected W-2 (employer is considering, but doesn't think this is appropriate).  Please fix this!  The instructions for Form 8889 do not say you have to check line 1 to use the form, but you must file for such situations (excess contributions by employer, etc).
mestretar

Putting family in line 1 and "none" for each month somehow made it work. Thank you for that suggestion.

If you were eligible to be claimed as a dependent in 2017, then you were not eligible to make any contributions to an HSA. There are a number of steps you will have to take.

1. Contact the HSA administrator and ask for the withdrawal of a "Mistaken Contribution". Be nice because they don't have to accommodate you (explain about the employer making contributions when you weren't eligible). If they honor this request, then they will send you a check for the total amount contributed.

2. If you took any distributions from the HSA (i.e., paid for medical expenses using the debit card from the HSA administrator), contact your HSA administrator and report a "Mistaken Distribution". This is the amount that you took out of the HSA to pay for medical expenses. Again, be nice. They will ask you to complete a form and to send it to them along with a check for that amount.

3. When you enter your data in TurboTax, report your original numbers (like the amount with code W in box 12 of your W-2). Then indicate that you had "none" for HDHP coverage all year (yes, of course you did, but you weren't eligible for the HSA). This will cause TurboTax to declare all contributions as excess contributions. TurboTax will then ask if you will withdraw the entire excess before the due date of the return. Since you are already working on this  (see #1), you answer "yes", and the contributions will be added to line 21 (Other Income) as they should be (if the contributions were from your W-2, otherwise, the amount that is excess won't be added to line 25 of the 1040).

4. Next year (i.e., for tax return 2018), you will probably get a 1099-SA reporting earnings on excess contributions. You will enter that in the HSA interview and be taxed on it (as is right).

daraoh

Yes, that is what I have found too. thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies