turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes already but then I received a HSA 1099-SA with a distribution amount. Will I need to retract my taxes and file differently if the amount was $686.04?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I filed my taxes already but then I received a HSA 1099-SA with a distribution amount. Will I need to retract my taxes and file differently if the amount was $686.04?

The IRS has not yet started accepting e-filed tax returns. They are scheduled to begin on February 12.  There is still a chance your return will be rejected. If it is, you can add your 1099-SA.  If your return is accepted, you can do one of two things:  1) File an amended return, or 2) Wait for the IRS to send you a letter proposing an adjustment to add $686 to your income.  You can respond to their letter and explain that you received Form 1099-SA after you transmitted your return, so you didn't (correctly) file Form 8889.   

I would wait to see if your return is accepted, and if it is then wait until you have received any return you are expecting, and then file an amended return.  To file an amended return TurboTax, see:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can I just adjust my taxes before they are processed?

I see them as “pending” status.

i am concerned that by the time I re-file I will be charged for using TurboTax service because the promo window is gone. Can you ensure this will not happen?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, unfortunately you cannot change your taxes before they are accepted. DavidD66 gave the correct advice about waiting to see if you return is accepted.

Form 8889 which is used for a Distribution from an HSA is not included in the free file tax return. This must be filed with the Deluxe return. See the forms in this link: Forms Included with TurboTax Products.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies