Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tomadeb

I earned 35,000€ overseas, qualify for the exemption of paying taxes in the US, I paid taxes overseas already. However, I don't see it reflected here on your tax return.

How can I update my 1040 form?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I earned 35,000€ overseas, qualify for the exemption of paying taxes in the US, I paid taxes overseas already. However, I don't see it reflected here on your tax return.

See this TT help reference:  Where do I enter the foreign tax credit (Form 1116... (intuit.com)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

As a US citizen or green card holder, you are required to report all your world-wide income and pay US tax on it.  The only exception is if you are out of the country for at least 330 days of the year, you may be able to exclude foreign income earned from working.

You do get a tax deduction or credit for foreign taxes you paid on the same income. One place to access this is on the page for "Deductions and Credits", go to the section for "Estimates and other taxes paid" and look for "Foreign taxes."  If using Turbotax online, you may have to select "show me more options" or "let me choose what to work on". 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies