turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can't get past this page Check This Entry 1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions: Charitable Contributions should be blank. Charitable contributions 300

If I put zero instead of 300, I still can't get past that page.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I can't get past this page Check This Entry 1040/1040SR Wks: Charitable contributions: Charitable Contributions should be blank. Charitable contributions 300

There is a known issue that produces the message, Charitable contributions has an unacceptable value."  Try these steps:

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. Click Edit to the right of Standard Deduction
    ​​Click OK, Sounds Good
  4. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  5. Click Continue
  6. Make sure that $300 is filled in and then click Continue
  7. Click Lets Keep Going

If the error persists, then go through the next work around.

Here is the second work around for claiming the Charity Deduction:

1. In TurboTax select Federal in the panel on the left
  2. Select Deductions & Credits at the top of the page
  3. Under Your Tax Breaks - Charitable Donations 
  4. Click START to the right of Donations to Charity in 2020
  5. Click YES
  6. Click ADD next to Money
  7. Type in the name of the charity that you donated to
  8. Type the amount of the donation
  9. Select Done with Donation
  10. Select Done

Now the deduction should appear on Line 10B and in the Charitable Contributions screen.

How the CARES act changes deducting charitable contributions made in 2020

Previously, charitable contributions could only be deducted if taxpayers itemized their deductions.

However, taxpayers who don't itemize deductions may take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to qualifying organizations. For the purposes of this deduction, qualifying organizations are those that are religious, charitable, educational, scientific or literary in purpose. The law changed in this area due to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.

Keep in mind, it is very important to keep records of your charitable contributions.  If the IRS asks about them later, they will be denied if you don't have a record, receipt, letter, etc.

I'm having the same error.  I think the program filled in the $300 when it "thought" I was standard but not I am itemizing.  How do I edit this out?   I don't see the standard deduction on the Charitable screen.  

Use the Chrome browser on a computer.  Go to settings and clear browsing data for all time.  Then log on to TurboTax.

Try this workaround for the $300 Charity to add to your standard deduction.

This was an known issue that has now been resolved.  Here are the steps to correct it

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Select Review/Edit
  3. Click Edit to the right of Standard Deduction

​​Click OK, Sounds Good

1. Click Wrap Up Tax Breaks
  2. Click Continue
  3. Make sure that $300 is filled in and then click Continue
  4. Click Lets Keep Going

If still an error is the work around for claiming the $300 Charity Deduction:

1. In TurboTax select Federal in the panel on the left
  2. Select Deductions & Credits at the top of the page
  3. Under Your Tax Breaks - Charitable Donations 
  4. Click START to the right of Donations to Charity in 2020
  5. Click YES
  6. Click ADD next to Money
  7. Type in the name of the charity that you donated to
  8. Type the amount of the donation
  9. Select Done with Donation
  10. Select Done

Now the $300 will appear on Line 10B and in the Charitable Contributions screen

daneagle22
Returning Member

The tips don't work in resolving the error. I am not taking standard deduction, I am itemizing and I can't get past this error.

I spoke to or chatted someone at Turbo Tax support and the solution was very simple. Sorry, I don't remember what the solution was. I suggest you chat or call support.

Hello, @ReneeM7122 @MaryM428 

Yep, this is not working.  I have tried several ways to get past the "1040/1040SR" wks to no avail. I even tried deleting the form and it is still there like a bad dream.  I have cleared my browser history several times.  The only other option I see is to clear and start over? 

Thank you,

Teresa M. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you are taking the Standard Deduction, you may need to re-enter the cash contribution:

TurboTax ONLINE

Click Tax Tools on the left side bar

Click Tools from the drop-down

Click the "Topic Search" box on the screen

Type or scroll down to    standard deduction and exemptions

Click GO 

The next screen gives you an option to change your selection from Standard to Itemized and back. You do not need to change your selection

Scroll down to the bottom of that screen and click CONTINUE

The next screen is the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act screen

IF YOU ARE CLAIMING STANDARD DEDUCTION enter the amount of cash contributions you made, up to  300

IF YOU ARE ITEMIZING DEDUCTIONS enter 0

Scroll down and click Continue

Click Continue on the next screen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have tried this as well.  I took one donation that was over $300 and created a new "money" donation and deleted the old one and I still get the same error message.

My itemized deduction is more that my standard deduction but less than the standard deduction with the $300 added.  I could force add $300 to the blank charitable contributions since they were in excess of that.  Is that an appropriate workaround?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

No. The issue is the order of operations. 

When getting an entry error for the Cares Act above-the-line deduction, leave it blank or do not otherwise adjust the amount in this box. Any donation must be entered in the regular section first or an error may result. TurboTax is interpreting any value as an override when there is nothing entered in the donations section first. It will calculate this for you.

For taxpayers who are itemizing, run through the interview again to leave the Cares Act Charitable Donation entry blank to clear the error.

To qualify for the Cares Act above-the-line deduction up to $300 for all taxpayers except married filing separate, who would each have a maximum of $150, for standard deduction filers, the IRS clarifies that the contribution must be:

1. a cash contribution;
  2. made to a qualifying organization;
  3. made during the calendar year 2020

To enter charitable donations in TurboTax Online, follow these steps:

• From the left menu, select Federal.
  • Four tabs will appear across the top of your program. Select the second tab, Deductions & Credits.
  • Scroll to Charitable Donations and select Start to begin. 
  • Answer Yes to Do you want to enter your donations for 2020?
  • For each donation, follow these steps:
    • Enter who the donation was to at Let's enter your donations one at a time and indicate what type of item was donated, either an Item, Money, Stock, or Mileage and travel expenses
    • Follow the prompts from there, and enter the amount of the donation 
    • When finished, select Done with This Donation.
  • Select + Add Another Donation if you have additional entries and Continue
  • Next, to trigger the extra deduction screen, run through all the deductions and credits and click Wrap Up Tax Breaks again to trigger the Cares Act Charitable Donation screen so that it will automatically calculate. Leave this cell blank. The information entered in the regular area will be calculated and the maximum allowable deduction will be added.

To do this in TurboTax CD/Download, follow these steps:

• Go to the PERSONAL tab and select the second button from the left, Deductions & Credits.
  • Select I'll choose what I work on.
  • Enter in the charitable donation amount as you normally would in the Charitable Donations section of Deductions & Credits.
  • When finished entering all donations, select Done with Charitable Donations and Continue.
  • Scroll to the end of the Deductions & Credits page and select Done with Deductions.
    • You may need to respond to any other additional questions. You will eventually see: The Standard Deduction is Right for You! 
    • Click Continue.
    • Now, you will see Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act where you will see any qualified contribution amount already entered from your earlier posts. Leave this blank. Select Continue

Do not enter anything more for the amount. If there is an amount prepopulated here, do not adjust it. Proceed through the rest of the interview.

Run the Review again. This should clear the error.

For more information, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions

@pkleeberg

@teresamorgan0301969

@daneagle22

@SheilaDott

aa175091
Returning Member

Great explanation! Had the same issue and it was getting hung up on itemized donations so deleted the itemized, took standard deduction, entered the $300 in the Cares Act screen and resolved the issue. Thank you!

DrPK

This did not work for me. I can not clear this line and it is preventing me from doing an e-file.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Try deleting any charitable contribution related forms and re-entering your details, if any, by following these steps:

1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
  2. Select Tools.
  3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
  4. Scroll to Charitable Contributions and select Delete and Delete Selected Form and Continue.
  5. Scroll to the bottom of the next window and select Continue With My Return.
  6. Return to the Deductions & Credits section for Charitable Donations and re-enter the information.

But, do not enter anything in the Cares Act section when you are wrapping up tax breaks. Let whatever is posted there from the regular Charitable Donation section remain. Complete the whole Deductions & Credits section.

@rondupas

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies