turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I bought a home in 2018, I don’t remember turbo tax asking me about purchasing a home last year on my taxes how do I report it

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I bought a home in 2018, I don’t remember turbo tax asking me about purchasing a home last year on my taxes how do I report it

The purchase of a personal residence, not used as a rental or in a business, is not reported on a tax return.  Only when the personal residence is sold would that sale have to be reported on a tax return, but only if you did not live in and own the home for two years in the five year period prior to the date of sale or your gain on the sale was greater than the exclusion amount for your filing status or you received a Form 1099-S for the sale.

Mortgage interest paid, points paid on the loan and the property taxes paid are reported on a Schedule A as itemized deductions.  However, your total itemized deductions must be greater than the Standard Deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

JulieC14
Expert Alumni

For future reference, here is more information on whether your home sale will be taxable and need to be reported on your return:  Is the money I made from a home sale taxable?

Also, here is a link outlining steps to be brought to the entry section for entering mortgage interest, points, and property taxes, if needed, as noted by DoninGa above:  Where do I enter my 1098 mortgage interest statement?

More information:  Why didn't my mortgage or property taxes increase my refund?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When you start the return for 2019 pay attention to the first couple of screens ... it will ask you about your situation so make sure to click on home owner so the proper section will be presented.  Otherwise watch for the home owner section in the deductions and credits tab. 

It's ok if you don't answer all the questions at the beginning.  You can still enter all the info and forms you get as you go though the program.  Or you can jump around and enter in any order.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies