Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdineen
Returning Member

I am a 1099 employee, can I open an health saving account pre-tax with my local bank and use that to pay for health insurance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am a 1099 employee, can I open an health saving account pre-tax with my local bank and use that to pay for health insurance

mdineen
Returning Member

thank you

TomD8
Level 15

If your work income is reported to you on a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC instead of on a W-2, the IRS considers you a self-employed individual, not an employee.

A self-employed individual can open an HSA, but according to HSA rules set by the IRS, you can only open an HSA if you’re covered by an HSA-eligible high-deductible health plan (HDHP). 

This website has more details for you:

https://www.bendhsa.com/hsas-for-small-business

As @Critter-3 pointed out, only certain limited types of health insurance can be purchased with HSA funds.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies