Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I added excess HSA by mistake last year, how can I solve it this year?

Hi

I discovered that I added Excess HSA Contribution in 2022 by mistake. This didn't happen actually. I paid already tax on that excess amount last year.

In 2023, how can I fix that? It is showing now that I still carry the excess HSA contribution and I have to pay 6% penalty on that amount as well.

1- Do I set the 'Excess HSA contributions carryover from 2022 still in HSA account' to Zero 

2- Do I set the 'Amount from 2022 Form 5329, Line 48' to Zero

3- What else should I do?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

"1- to do 1040X to amend 2022 to undo the excess reported in 2022 and submit that online. I think I will need to amend 5329 as well to show that there is no excess in 2022."

You will want to amend the 2022 return to get that 6% penalty back. You will need only to change your entries in the HSA interview to show that you didn't have an excess after all. The 5329 should take care of itself.

Note that if you want the new carryover (or lack thereof) to appear on your 2023 return, you'll need to transfer the 2022 return to 2023 again. Since that would delete any entries you have already made for 2023, you may want to try the two suggestions in #2.

"2- Then I can submit 2023. What I am not sure is how to report that in 2023 (should I put ZERO as the excess contribution from 2022 to fix things since I will do the amendment first for 2022)"

When you go through through the HSA interview on your 2023 return, you should be asked something like, "Did you overfund your HSA in 2022?" First, say "no" and go through the return to see how it turns out. Hopefully that will do it. Otherwise, go back to the HSA interview and answer "yes, then put "0" (zero) as the amount of the carryover and go through the rest of the return, to see if that worked for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

"I discovered that I added Excess HSA Contribution in 2022 by mistake" - What does this mean? You added the excess to where?

"I paid already tax on that excess amount last year." - Which tax? The income tax on the excess that was added by to your Other Income? or some other tax?

"In 2023, how can I fix that? It is showing now that I still carry the excess HSA contribution and I have to pay 6% penalty on that amount as well." - So you carried over the excess from 2022 to 2023 or what? You should have been charged the 6% in 2022 when you did not withdraw the excess in early 2023.

Did you make HSA contributions in 2023? If so, how much? What was your HDHP coverage?

Please do not make any changes to the 5329 or 8889 until we understand what you actually did.

Thank you @BillM223  for your reply... 

- In 2022, I input wrongly that I made excess (which in reality, I didn't)

- In 2022, I paid a penalty of 6% in the Federal Income Tax

- I carried over the excess from 2022 to 2023 and charged 6% in 2022. In 2023, 

- I did make HSA contributions to the Max Level for a family in 2023.

- Now it is showing that I still have excess from the previous year. 

I hope I explained the situation. My understanding that I need:

1- to do 1040X to amend 2022 to undo the excess reported in 2022 and submit that online. I think I will need to amend 5329 as well to show that there is no excess in 2022.

2- Then I can submit 2023. What I am not sure is how to report that in 2023 (should I put ZERO as the excess contribution from 2022 to fix things since I will do the amendment first for 2022)

Thank you!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"1- to do 1040X to amend 2022 to undo the excess reported in 2022 and submit that online. I think I will need to amend 5329 as well to show that there is no excess in 2022."

You will want to amend the 2022 return to get that 6% penalty back. You will need only to change your entries in the HSA interview to show that you didn't have an excess after all. The 5329 should take care of itself.

Note that if you want the new carryover (or lack thereof) to appear on your 2023 return, you'll need to transfer the 2022 return to 2023 again. Since that would delete any entries you have already made for 2023, you may want to try the two suggestions in #2.

"2- Then I can submit 2023. What I am not sure is how to report that in 2023 (should I put ZERO as the excess contribution from 2022 to fix things since I will do the amendment first for 2022)"

When you go through through the HSA interview on your 2023 return, you should be asked something like, "Did you overfund your HSA in 2022?" First, say "no" and go through the return to see how it turns out. Hopefully that will do it. Otherwise, go back to the HSA interview and answer "yes, then put "0" (zero) as the amount of the carryover and go through the rest of the return, to see if that worked for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies