turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to change w4 to decrease federal withholding?

How do I change my w4 to decrease federal withholding?

The form is all different from last year.

I need to owe at least $7500 at the end of the year, as I plan to take the federal EV car credit.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can prepare a new W-4 in TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Click Other Tax Situations.
  2. In the Other Tax Forms section click the Start box next to Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes.
  3. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
  4. Print out the W-4 form and submit it to your employer.

Here are some tools to help you adjust your withholding:

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can prepare a new W-4 in TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Click Other Tax Situations.
  2. In the Other Tax Forms section click the Start box next to Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes.
  3. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
  4. Print out the W-4 form and submit it to your employer.

Here are some tools to help you adjust your withholding:

Thanks.

I have already done the math.

I need 5k - less - to be withheld in federal taxes this year, to end up owing about $7500 for 2021.

Would I simply enter $5,000 on line 4(b) of my new W4, and submit to my company?

- Sorry, I found thatOther Tax Forms to be long and confusing.

Mac

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I think it will be helpful for you to understand that the credit is subtracted from your tax liability. It will not be affected by your withholding. Here's an example-

Lets say the tax on my income is 8,500 and I had no withholding. I also get the 7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit. The credit decreases my tax liability to 1,000. I owe 1,000. My tax for this year is 1,000 total.

Lets say the tax on my income is 8,500 and I had 10,000 withholding. I also get the 7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit. The credit brings my tax down to 1,000, I had 10,000 withheld, so I get a 9,000 refund. My tax for this year is 1,000. 

NOW lets say my tax liability is only 5,000. The credit will only be worth up to 5,000 no matter how much withholding was done. 

The credit won't change based on your withholding. It is subtracted from your tax liability. Your tax liability is calculated FIRST, then the credit is subtracted, then your remaining tax liability (if there is one) is subtracted from your withholding, then you get any excess withholding back. 

Please click here for more TurboTax information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I think it will be helpful for you to understand that the credit is subtracted from your tax liability. It will not be affected by your withholding. Here's an example-

Lets say the tax on my income is 8,500 and I had no withholding. I also get the 7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit. The credit decreases my tax liability to 1,000. I owe 1,000. My tax for this year is 1,000 total.

Lets say the tax on my income is 8,500 and I had 10,000 withholding. I also get the 7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit. The credit brings my tax down to 1,000, I had 10,000 withheld, so I get a 9,000 refund. My tax for this year is 1,000. 

NOW lets say my tax liability is only 5,000. The credit will only be worth up to 5,000 no matter how much withholding was done. 

The credit won't change based on your withholding. It is subtracted from your tax liability. Your tax liability is calculated FIRST, then the credit is subtracted, then your remaining tax liability (if there is one) is subtracted from your withholding, then you get any excess withholding back. 

Please click here for more TurboTax information

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies