Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to alphabetize list of charities?

How to sort Charity Name in alphabetic order?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

The Schedule A deduction includes Charitable Contribution.  If you don't itemize your deduction, you can enter $300 as adjustment to income.  The lists of charitable organization may not be automatically alphabetized in Turbo Tax. You have to enter manually in alphabetical order.

srveach49

TurboTax should fix this - if you add a charity, it will be entered in analphabetic order because you cannot INSERT a charity in the correct alphabetic order.

Just alphabetize charities automatically, or offer an Alphabetize button.

I agree -- non alpha list of charities is a big annual drag.

@bshields 

If using the Desktop software, one can just click on the table heading labelled "Charity Name" , and the whole list gets alphabetized while in that interview section.  It isn't permanent though, so once you exit, they get scrambled again....but a simple one-click the next time you get into the charity section, does it again.

I seem to recall that Online used to do similar, but unfortunately no longer.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The TT  sister program IT'S DEDUCTIBLE can be used during the year and the annual info imported into the program ... the list of charities can be sorted in that program.   https://itsdeductibleonline.intuit.com/

Also, in the program,  all your cash donations can simply be entered as ONE amount using the word VARIOUS and skip all the individual entries.  The IRS only gets the one total amount on the Sch A ... the worksheet with the breakdown is only for your records and you already have the receipts in case you are ever audited that is what the IRS would want to see not the worksheet. 

Clicking on the table heading "Charity Name" does not work.  It is not a live field, not a sortable column.  This is a huge pain every year for those who have dozens of charitable contributions.

The TT  sister program IT'S DEDUCTIBLE can be used during the year and the annual info imported into the program ... the list of charities can be sorted in that program.   https://itsdeductibleonline.intuit.com/

Also, in the program,  all your cash donations can simply be entered as ONE amount using the word VARIOUS and skip all the individual entries.  The IRS only gets the one total amount on the Sch A ... the worksheet with the breakdown is only for your records and you already have the receipts in case you are ever audited that is what the IRS would want to see not the worksheet. 

@tehannah 

IF you look at my post again, I did specify the "Desktop" software, where clicking on the Charity Name header still works to sort alphabetically.

Online software...Nope.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Wow, it works! This is a big help. It would be nice if it was noted on the screen how to alphabetize charities.

Others have had success on some desktop versions, but I am here to tell you that in my Premier desktop version for 2021 running on Mac, the columns are not sortable.  It is not possible to click on the Charity Name header as you suggest and sort the entries by alpha, even momentarily.  Perhaps TT needs to figure out why it works on some versions and not on others, and make it consistent?

@tehannah 

More likely it's  a Windows vs MAC thing.

....i.e. the MAC programmers didn't design their software the same way to allow that to be done.

yerolpal

TT Premier for Windows does sort on the Charity Column heading, but as tehannah observes, it goes back to the original un-alphabetized list after each open/entry attempt.  Saving your file does nothing to hold it in the updated sort.  It is a real pain to try and be methodical about data entry and check.  Can't understand why the programmers are not allowed to fix this so it would remain in a sane order on such sort update.  Been waiting for this for 20+ years.  As my generosity has gained steam over the years with a growing list of charities, my enthusiasm for TT has waned. Other variations of TT aren't even tempted.  "As they say in Windows World doublespeak..."It's not a bug.  It's a feature."  

iOne
Level 4

Windows TurboTax Download: Click the "Charity Name" header for a temporary sort

Mac TurboTax Download: Out of luck

TurboTax Online: Out of luck

TurboTax It's Deductible:
https://itsdeductibleonline.intuit.com/
Click the "Charity Name" header and/or the "State" header

It's Deductible is even more crufty than TT Desktop, be warned -- kind of looks like the last minor update was in 2006.  And you can't export charity names from TT Desktop, or enter the Charity's EIN (except as a comment in the name).

See a large thread on this topic at https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-how-can-i-alphabetize-the-lis...

Yeah, TT desktop mac - this is stupid.  Intuit just rakes in profit, delivers minimal value.  So many things that just work badly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies