Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akronsma51
Returning Member

How do I enter cost of repairs for Hurricane Ian?

I live in Florida and I was impacted by Hurricane Ian. We didnt have power for 2 weeks. What all can you deduct from this? Damage to home? Forced to purchase generator? etc...

Does the deduction for the disaster itself apply automatically? I didn't see it anywhere when filing the return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Generally, you may deduct casualty and theft losses relating to your home, household items, and vehicles on your federal income tax return if the loss is caused by a federally declared disaster. 

You cannot deduct a power generator.

You also cannot claim losses covered by insurance unless you file a timely claim for reimbursement and you reduce the loss by the amount of any reimbursement or expected reimbursement.

Here's how to enter this in TurboTax:

1. Type casualty loss in Search (magnifying glass) in the upper right
  2. Tap Jump to casualty loss
  3. Say Yes on “Did you have anything damaged or stolen during a recent federal disaster?"
  4. On "Casualty or Theft Event" enter a description and date. Choose Personal Property
  5. Select This event qualifies as a Federally declared major qualified disaster loss, then Continue
  6. On “Enter your FEMA disaster code," choose DR, and type DR-4673, then Continue

Florida Hurricane Ian DR-4673-FL

Learn more at About Casualty Deduction for Federal Income Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
akronsma51
Returning Member

Okay thank you I found that and added the damages to our backyard fencing.

Is there a general deduction for being affected by Hurricane Ian? I thought I read a few months ago that the IRS will automatically apply this deduction based on my address? Is that true and where can I see this on my return? 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

No there is no general deduction applied to everyone effected by a casualty loss disaster.  Each taxpayer (couple if filing joint) figures their own loss on their tax return.  The link provided by @ErnieS0 and again here provides great information. For more detailed information you can check this link for IRS Publication 547.    

akronsma51
Returning Member

@DMarkM1 this is what I am referencing. I found this the IRS website about Hurricane Ian 

https://i.imgur.com/Hz6MRZU.png

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

This is an extension of filing and paying deadlines.  Here is the IRS link.  Mostly concerns taxpayers who were on an extension to file their 2021 tax returns.  Their deadline extended from Oct 17, 2022 to Feb 15, 2023.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies