Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hiro0910

Hi. I am international student from Japan. I filed a tax about 6 month ago, and yesterday, I got W9 form, and W8BEN form. Which form should I filed out.

Also, I filed turbo tax instead of sprint tax because I was been in US about 5 years.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Hi. I am international student from Japan. I filed a tax about 6 month ago, and yesterday, I got W9 form, and W8BEN form. Which form should I filed out.

@pk?

hiro0910

I'm sorry. I think I missed the spell. Which form should I "Fill out"?  I filed using turbo tax instead of sprint tax because I have been in US about 5 years. 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@hiro0910  if you indeed entered the US with F-1 visa in 2016 and this was your first entry to the USA, then  yes, your exempt period ( five years ) would have expired on 12/31/2010. And if you continued to stay in the USA, sometime during 2021 you would have become a Resident for Tax purposes.  Thus  you needed to file 2021 return on form 1040 , which TurboTax supports.

W-9 is for the use of persons with SSN and because you have filed a 2021 return I am assuming that you have a tax id ( SSN or ITIN).  Thus when you open a bank account or any other action that requires the "other party" to report your earnings etc.  they should ask for your tax ID by having you fill out a form W-9 NOT W-8 BEN.  The latter is generally used to request tax-id from Non-Resident Aliens either in the USA ( without tax id ) or abroad but have financial interests in the USA.

Does this answer you questions ?   What are you trying to do ?  Is this job related or investment related ?

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

hiro0910

Yes, That is right. I entered using F1 visa, and continue to now. 

Yes, I have social security number, and filed it . Could you explain to me more about W-9,and W-8BEN.

Sincerely 

hiro0910

I just want to get a tax refund that I filed it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies