Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello! If your employer contribution to your HSA is captured on your W2, do you have to also add your 1099-SA? When I do, Turbo tells me I have an excess contribution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Hello! If your employer contribution to your HSA is captured on your W2, do you have to also add your 1099-SA? When I do, Turbo tells me I have an excess contribution.

No, you will not add the contribution amount from your W2 again. However, you will go through the interview to answer other questions on your 1099-SA form.  Again be sure to delete any duplicate contribution amounts that you may have entered.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Adding a 1099-SA (a distribution) can't by itself create an excess contribution situation.  You would have an excess contribution situation if you double-counted your contributions, or if you did not indicate you had qualifying HDHP coverage.  The 1099-SA would show up as taxable income, unless you check the box that says "I used all the money for qualified medical expenses," but it would not show up as a contribution. 

This was it! I didn't realize I had a qualifying HDHP coverage. Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies