Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Goodwill Itemization - Detailed or Generic Grouping okay?

Hello. When I am completing the donations section for Goodwill, can I simply list "toys" and the fair market value with the date, or do I need to list each toy individually and it's price? In years past I have listed each toy individually and it has taken me weeks to complete the Goodwill section of my taxes. I have photos and lists of everything donated with goodwill receipts, so I am hoping I can make this year easier on me and just say "toys" as opposed to entering almost 100 rows. I don't mind using It's Deductible for the clothing and taking the hit there on the value since they have been used, but the toys are new or nearly new and It's Deductible values them very low. 

Thank you! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ok ... I see where the confusion lies.  When you enter donations the current fair market value you would see at a thrift store  is usually the amount  you list  and that amount is usually lower than the   price you actually paid for the items originally.  If you are using the current replacement price for that vintage toy (what you could sell it on ebay for) then it is very possible you donated items with an appreciated value if they are vintage and in short supply.  Most toys that are not in the original packaging untouched by little hands will not appreciate in value.

So the FMV you will enter is what your local thrift store may get for the item if you donated it to them.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I simply use the terms VARIOUS before the category like  toys/clothes/household goods/etc. to group them. 

Thanks. I did that and it told me that the items I donated to goodwill appreciated in value? I have not seen this comment before.  I chose household items and the value was replacement cost new (same as I have chosen every other year).  Any thoughts? Do you think it was because the dollar amount was larger being lumped together than if I had broken it out over multiple lines for the same date?

Did the items actually appreciate ?   Are they worth more now then when you bought them ?   If they are not then check your entries  again carefully. 

That is what is so weird. I entered the date of the donation, selected household items, typed "Various toys" into the description, the value of everything added up from that day was $3,245, and chose replacement cost new, because that is how much it would cost, without tax, if we were to purchase all those toys again new. When I selected "Done with this donation" that is when it started to ask about the purchase info, if I owned it for more than a year, and how the charity was going to use it since it had appreciated. In years past, I had not run into this and I am wondering if it is because if grouping it into a larger amount triggered something? I saw if you make a large donation, you have to fill out a form that requires you to itemize what was donated, so maybe I should go back to my old way and list off everything? Or is putting the replacement cost new the wrong choice and a different dollar amount should be listed instead?

Example: Paw Patrol Jungle Rescue Vehicle is 49.99 on Amazon. Do I use 49.99 since we donated the full toy with accessories? or a percentage since it was a donation?

Ok ... I see where the confusion lies.  When you enter donations the current fair market value you would see at a thrift store  is usually the amount  you list  and that amount is usually lower than the   price you actually paid for the items originally.  If you are using the current replacement price for that vintage toy (what you could sell it on ebay for) then it is very possible you donated items with an appreciated value if they are vintage and in short supply.  Most toys that are not in the original packaging untouched by little hands will not appreciate in value.

So the FMV you will enter is what your local thrift store may get for the item if you donated it to them.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies