turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Form 8936 (2019)

Would be nice if Intuit added that info back in on their list. thx for the update about 2/14!

Form 8936 is supposed to be available today.  Looking at the forms-availability turbotax  online, I noticed today it does not even appear and show up any longer.  Has the form changed?

Re: 2019 Form 8936

Two forms that pertain to energy-efficient vehicles are:

Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Form 8910, Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit 

These forms are currently scheduled for release February 20.  

:(

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax programs our software and forms based on information and instructions provided by the IRS. 

The forms initially expected to be available today (February 12, 2020) in TurboTax were subjected to additional last-minute updates from the IRS.   

As @godsbeloved_03 pointed out above, the new date from the IRS for the eFile version of the form is now listed as 2/14/2020, although I am hesitant to quote that date. 

We will add the form back to our list as soon as our developers have the opportunity to review the changes made overnight and determine what is required to program them for our software.   

We can't comment on what any other company has available - we only know that as of today, there is no IRS approved version of the form available for the e-File system.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

For any of you who installed an EV charger in your home along with your EV purchase -- make sure you are also filing form 8911, you'll get a 30% tax credit on that.  The credit was just passed by Congress in late December, and it's retroactive.  TT looks to be the only software with any plans to offer that form.  It was just released by the IRS last week, and TT says they will have it on 2/20.  We spent about $1200 on that installation with the electrical work that had to be done in our home, so it's a pretty decent credit.

Good Advice!!! I didn't even think about hat as it cost me about $1000 of electrical to install a charger for home use.

@godsbeloved_03 that 2/14 availability is if you are doing free filing with the IRS. Given the form is already available with H&R Block that has no bearing on when it will be available with TurboTax. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This form isn't even showing up in the list anymore, and the page within turbotax when you go to the Energy-Efficient vehicles section that says "The energy-efficient vehicles section isn't ready yet" is less than helpful. First it was supposed to be available end of January, then February 5th, then today, now... maybe the 14th? Though some of the forms have been updated to say the 20th? This is really annoying, I just want my danged credit >.>

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

We are working to update the list now, and the form will be this week's update/release of the program.  

I wish I could be more specific because I know that you are all anxious to get your returns finished up - but right now I do not have more specific data to provide.  

@KyleG - looking at the list more closely, I do see what you mean regarding the IRS list applying to FreeFile forms. 

I am looking further into this now and hopefully, I can come back to this post with an additional update later this afternoon.

Really annoyed that this is the third bump of the availability date, when many people have said H&R block already have this done. I'm literally planning to re-do all my taxes over there, because I'm tired of waiting for you guys to get your ducks in a row.

How many times will you push the date ahead for the availability of form 8936? It is time to acknowledge that Turbot Tax is not the best tax software available. It is also not the only software program. H&R Block has the form available. I will have time time to complete my tax form on 2/15. If Turbo tax cannot help me then they are unreliable and I will try H&R Block. Too bad because you used to be first rate software and now you are second rate. 

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

I'm certainly sorry that you feel that way, but I do understand your frustration.

We know it's frustrating to wait and even more frustrating when we cannot provide exact dates and times. It is important that we provide an accurate, quality product for our customers and sometimes that takes a little longer than we'd like.  

We appreciate you hanging in as long as you did and hope to see you back next year! 

@taxeschainsawmassacre

All of the most recent info says 2/12/20 but it still is t working with TurboTax. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Form 8606 and Form 8936 are going out and will be available in this week's release of TurboTax. 

More like the 4th.  HR block has the form ready so I guess they plan ahead compared to TT.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies