Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Forcing me to upgrade - saying I have financial account in foreign country? I don't - and there is no form that suggests it either

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Forcing me to upgrade - saying I have financial account in foreign country? I don't - and there is no form that suggests it either

Sound like the Form 8938 was somehow created by the program.  You can simply remove it.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

1.  Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  From the left menu, select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow

3.  Select Tools

4.  Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form

5.  Select Delete next to the Form 8938 and Continue with My Return

If you live in the US and meet one of the following criteria, you would need to file a Form 8938.  

Unmarried individual (or married filing separately): Total value of assets was more than $50,000 on the last day of the tax year, or more than $75,000 at any time during the year.

Married individual filing jointly: Total value of assets was more than $100,000 on the last day of the tax year, or more than $150,000 at any time during the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, But Under Tools , delete a form  - I do not see any 8938. Unsure where the reference is.

When I do print with all forms, I don't see anything related to foreign accts either.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Thank you for writing back.  Then I will suggest you to go through the "foreign account" section to tell the program you do not have any foreign account.

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign assets" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign assets
  • Follow prompts to tell the program you do not have foreign accounts.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
james170

This is happening to me too. I have done all of the above suggestions and nothing is working. It keeps going back and asking the same questions. What should I do now?

I ran into this problem.  For me it was selecting the second option automatically because of an option that was loaded incorrectly when I had Turbo Tax import a 1099-INT directly from a financial institution (instead of entering it myself).  Go to your 1099-INT and double check that the "FATCA filing requirement" was input correctly by the system.  In my experience it was checked when it should not have been checked; and after I fixed this I was able to correctly tell intuit that i did not have any foreign assets which finally allowed me to file my taxes for free.

Silence
Returning Member

I tried many ways. The problem is from the 1099 int/1099 forms, Remove all the 1099 forms and I just type the numbers by myself, only 2 columns, and continue these answers to the next session, then check the review, it will be  fine with the free version. You'll see many foreign account question disappeared.

m_steeley

Howdy,

I experienced the same issue.  Had to log out of TT, clear browser cache, log back into TT, and re-do 1099-INT to fix it.  Full description below:

TurboTax ran the last automated review step before e-filing, then gave the pop-up saying I had to pay & upgrade to Deluxe because I "had foreign assets."  (I don't, and answered no to every question on the subject.)  I saw the answers in this post, and went and deleted and manually re-entered my 1099-INT, and got the same Deluxe pop-up.  I kept having to click "no" twice to get back to my return thruout this process. 

Then I found my physical paper 1099-INT, took a pic, and uploaded that.  It auto-filled some info, but I had to manually finish the rest.  Clicked the "none apply" checkmark, and got the same Deluxe pop-up.  Tried taking/uploading a different pic, and got the same result.

I dug deeper into other forum posts and saw notes stating browser cookies/cache could cause issues.  I was using Firefox.  (To be fair to TT, they did pop up a warning at the beginning stating Firefox was not a "supported browser.")  I logged out of TT, went into Firefox Settings and cleared the cache (not cookies, but try that too if this doesn't work), logged back in, went back and manually re-did my 1099-INT once more.  This time it took me to the questions about foreign assets again; I clicked "No" to everything again, then went to review and it finally let me file for free.  Quite frustrating!  But hopefully this helps somebody.

This happened to me yesterday. No way to correct it. Forcing people to upgrade. I don’t have foreign accounts 

@Kbrandt2001 wrote:

This happened to me yesterday. No way to correct it. Forcing people to upgrade. I don’t have foreign accounts 

Did you try deleting the Form 8938

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

The Form 8938 is not populating for me, therefore I am unable to delete it by following the steps you've outlined. I have tried clearing my cache and cookies, deleting and re-entering Form 1099-INT information, etc. and I cannot get TurboTax to understand that I do not have a foreign account.

I have also had no luck following the guidelines by anyone above. Would love to know if there are any other workarounds. I have no 8938, entered everything by hand, cookies and cache cleared, etc... nothing. If someone else has a workaround, please let me know. Otherwise, might file elsewhere. $40 for something I can do for free just because of a glitch is not acceptable, especially when it's offered for $21 elsewhere in the program somehow...

I deleted my entire return and restarted... it's finally allowing me to go through without the weird foreign investment thing popping up. This is a glitch that needs to be fixed ASAP, turbotax. I think most would give up and just pay, which I hope is not intentional.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies