turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cfr701

We had an excess hsa contribution in tax year 2017.. I contacted my hsa company and they sent me the excess before we filed our 2017 taxes. 2018 return shows wrong amount

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

We had an excess hsa contribution in tax year 2017.. I contacted my hsa company and they sent me the excess before we filed our 2017 taxes. 2018 return shows wrong amount

The way this should work is this:

1. TurboTax detected an excess HSA contribution amount on your 2017 return, in early 2018.

2. This amount was added back automatically to your Other Income (line 21 on form 1040).

3. You called the HSA custodian in early 2018 to request the withdrawal of excess contributions.

4. The HSA custodian sent you a check.

5. You filed your 2017 return.

6. In early 2019, the custodian send you a 1099-SA with a distribution code of '2'. The amount of earnings on the excess is in box 2.

7. When you are doing your 2018 taxes, the earnings are added to Other Income as they should be.

8. Any amount in box 1 if the distribution code is '2' is ignored (as it should be).

Now, in what way did your experience differ from this?

yijie-xue

For step 5, my 2017 return should not include the excess contribution as Other Income, right? Thanks!

did you solve this issue? i'm about to file the same issue and want to know if the above advice fixed it. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No, if you received the excess or applied it to the 2018 contribution, it would not be income in 2017.  @yijie-xue @jenn-lan

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies