Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Filed as a dependent by mistake! (Stimulus Check?)

I am just a bit confused, I looked at the 2019 Publication 501 Dependents Wasn't able to determine if I should amend as independent, I turned 24 in 2019 does that mean I am a independent even though I still live with my parents and I was a full time student 

@nooreddin wrote:

I am just a bit confused, I looked at the 2019 Publication 501 Dependents Wasn't able to determine if I should amend as independent, I turned 24 in 2019 does that mean I am a independent even though I still live with my parents and I was a full time student 

Since you were 24 in 2019 being a full time student is no longer relevant.  You can now only be claimed as a dependent under the Qualifying Relative rules.  Those QR rules state that if you had gross income of $4,200 or more then no one can claim you as a dependent.  Otherwise, review the rules to see if you can be claimed by your parents.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.
2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household.
3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200 (social security does not count) in 2019
4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.
6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

if your turned 24 in 2019 (born in 1995) you CAN only be a dependent if the following tests are met (answer from your parent's perspective) 

1.The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household. (your parents already pass this test since you are related)
2. The person's gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,200 in 2019.
3. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year. (financial support means fair share of rent, food, utilities, clothing, transportation, medical costs, insurance, COLLEGE costs, etc.) if they provide more than 50% of this stuff, they pass #3)
4. The person must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.

if they pass all 4 tests, you CAN BE a dependent and are not eligible for stimulus.  

if they FAIL ANY ONE test, you CAN NOT be a dependent and ARE eligible for stimulus.  

let me know whether they pass or not and I can advise on the solution. 

They fail test number 2, most likely fail 3 yet because I pay most of my costs but they do help me. But given they failed 2 should  I emend my tax? 

@nooreddin - you are NOT a dependent and your parents CAN NOT claim you.  

you have a few options, 

1) amend and let the IRS know you are NOT a dependent.  Could take 16 weeks minimum for this to occur with no guidance from the IRS whether they will send out the stimulus immediately after processing the amendment.  Maybe they will and maybe the won't.

2) wait until the 2020 tax return and resolve at that point.  You'll know not to declare that someone else can claim you as a dependent 🙂 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received it), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

make sense? 

Did you receive anything? I did the exact same thing.. 

No I didn't receive anything, and when I use the portal it says we can't locate your check status  

@NCperson 

Hello, I am in the same boat as most people on this thread. Here is my question :

Let's say that I decide to take the chance to amend my 2019 tax return and let the IRS know that I am NOT  a dependent and... the IRS does NOT send me a stimulus check after processing the amendment for whatever reason. 

Will I still be able to resolve my stimulus payment and receive my "settle up" stimulus payment on my 2020 Tax Return? Or will I not be eligible because I amended my 2019 tax return and missed the deadline. 

kyleadrian30
Returning Member

@NCperson mine is the other way around. I file a non filer for but didn’t check the box as someone else is claiming me. I am 18 & my parents is claiming me on their tax. However, now they can’t do efile because IRS ready accepted my non filer. My SSN has been submitted to IRS. I am a dependent from my parents tax. I live with them full time & full time student. I work but less than $7K last year. I got the money from stimulus pay yesterday for $1,200 but I want to correct my mistakes since my parents will loose more money if they can’t claim me. We filed my 2019 taxes & my parents too & put a letter on it explaining what happen. This is my first time doing it so it’s my fault... is there any suggestion if we can amend the non filer since it is not an actual return? I am willingly want to return the money & make correction on my mistakes. If i just check the box then i would not i am not eligible for the stimulus check...

Sunrave

Hi. I marked the “can be claimed as a dependent” by accident on April 11th and only realized it the other day. I went back and unmarked that option and saved it but I’m not sure since my return is already been accepted that it updated. I’ve been receiving “payment status not a available” for weeks and I’m wondering is that the problem. I’m 22 years old and have been working since I graduated at 18. Even though I marked that, will i still receive a stimulus payment? 

Sunrave

Hi. I did the non filers form on April 11th. I accidentally marked the “can be claimed as dependent” on the form. I’m 22 years old I’ve been working since I was 18. No one is able to claim me as a dependent so will I still be receiving a payment. Others around me who filed same day and after have received there’s. I’ve been thinking that that may be the problem, I went back to unmark it and save it but that may not update to the Irs since it’s already been accepted by them. I read once where if u mark the can be claimed you won’t receive one. Is that true? 

Sunrave

Should I redo the non filers form and start over? Or wait and see will I receive a payment? And if I do redo the non filers and delete it as the option says, will that prolong when I get the payment?

derrickforman2980
Returning Member

what if ur software was messed up and put me in to my roomates taxes as a dependent and it was ur fault bc she dont know my ss number i am on social security and i need that money so bad that im going lose my place i live. i  cant afford food or anything i have talked to 5 reps from ur place and one seen that ur software 

kept takeing my old cars and milage and putting it into my roommates taxes. which i didnt know until social securty told me i am  not eligiable NOW WHAT AM I GOING TO DO I HAD PEOPLE SAY IT WAS UR SELF FILE PROGRAM THAT WAS MESSWD NOT ME. AND NOW YOU GUYS WENT ON MY ROOMMATES ACCOUNT AND UPDATeD IT AND TOOK ME OFF BUT THANK GOD I ALLREADY DOwnLOAdeD the mess up and recorded calls. 

Derrick F

i have ontacted channel 6 news and they have done a story and re invetigating if ur software may have a security leak of other peoples ss # sorry if it misspelled every were i am so angry with turbo tax bc i know for 100 fact that roommate cant get my ss bc i lost everything in a fire while ago so there no way no way that happen and i will not let this go i can not wait til 2021 to get this check and it your fault if there any lawyers that would like to contact me i like to talk to you

[email address removed]

derrickforman2980
Returning Member

question what if my roommate filed through turbo tax and which we have contacted 100 times on this it took my ss number and made me a dependent but we live seperate lives and no way does she have my ss number but im on ssdi and never ever was claimed as a dependent for 15 years and i share the house we live in have seperate bills and theres no way they had my ss different locked mail boxes and seperate appartments with ded bolts and one window that has burgular bars on it . when we contacted turbo tax bc when she filed it put me there  prior to that she had a problem bc every time she put our address in it kept bringing in my cars that i had when i fied back in 2014 . also when had a rep from turbo tax mirrior program with us and said OMG this is not good i need get this fixed with the TECHs then all sudden they went on my roomates account and updated it wth out permission and now u cant find me on there but i downloaded and screen shot were it was in there

derrick

im neither a qualifying child, or relative based on those requirements. I clicked the box and havent received anything. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies