Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought a motorhome for use in my personal business. i use it exclusively for work. i am making payments on it. can i deduct the annual payments?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I bought a motorhome for use in my personal business. i use it exclusively for work. i am making payments on it. can i deduct the annual payments?

You can't deduct the "payments' but you can set it up as a business asset and take depreciation expense and also claim a deduction for the operating expenses such as gas, maintenance, insurance, etc. You can also use the mileage method. It is your choice to decided which is more advantageous from a tax standpoint.

The IRS allows you to depreciate an RV over five years. You can also use the section 179 deduction.

For more information about depreciating your RV, click the link below:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p946/ix01.html

In order to set up as a business asset, while logged in and working on your return:

• Click on My Account
  • Click on Tools
  • Click on Topic Search
  • Type "Business Asset" in the search window and Click on Go
  • Click "Edit" next to your business
  • Scroll Down to Business Assets and Click on Start/Edit
  • Continue with the interview to add an asset

alisa

EVERYTHING I have read tells me that an RV cannot be a business asset.  Where did you get your information that it can be?

Yes, you can deduct an RV. I've actually done it. But you really have to be using it as a business expense. It's basically real estate. I'm not an accountant and the details matter. Make sure you have a good accountant so you can do it properly. I couldn't find any information published by the IRS as proof of this, but I know my accountant is highly accredited and straight and narrow.

Although many would think of the RV as a second home when used for business it is an asset and can be depreciated.  Also you should use the actual expenses option so you can depreciate it properly ... follow the screen instructions in the VEHICLE expenses section ( this is treated like a big rig for income tax purposes). 

DLC2

Have a hunting/fishing guide client that purchased a $40,000 RV

to use as an office and also allow clients to use overnight. It is

fixed in place next to his boat barn, etc. How do I depreciate

this properly?  DLC2

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies