turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax 2020 have the HSA Contribution Limit Wrong?

Just starting to look at 2020 taxes.  TurboTax Deluxe 2020 is telling me that my $7,100 contribution to my HSA (Family enrolled in HDHP all year) is $100 too much.  Anybody else seeing this?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes it's wrong. TT knows this and it is one of many updates to come. 

It is an incomplete program and it will not be fully operational until sometime in January or February for some things like states.   The program will undergo weekly updates as they complete sections ... this happens every year without exception.  

ANY tax software released by any company prior to about January 15 is only released for marketing and market share.  No program is complete and ready to file until the IRS approves their final forms and then individually reviews each program's implementation of the form.  And some tax situations aren't able to be filed until February or March, again mostly due to IRS delays.

Now, it would be better if the updates that were easy to do were done in advance.  But that may not fit the program workflow.  For example, if the MAGI calculation is part of the module or subroutine for form 8606, the programmers may decide not to update any part of the 8606 subroutine until the actual form and instructions for 2020 are released by the IRS and then reprogram the entire module all at once.  

IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

·         

State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

cornfarmer1
Returning Member

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I've never tried using a version this early in the (pre) tax season.  Just wanted to make sure the development team was aware of what I thought was an error.  

hephalump

It doesn't look this has been fixed yet

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

The contribution limit for a Health Savings Account for 2020 is $7100 for Family coverage and $3550 for Self coverage.  The limits are increased for someone who is 55 years old or older as of December 31, 2020.  

There are no known issues within TurboTax regarding the 2020 limits being applied incorrectly.  If you are using the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax, please be sure you have updated the program to the latest version.

For more information see the following TurboTax articles:

What is a health savings account (HSA)?

@hephalump

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies