Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abinns25

Does anyone know what this means. I have always received child tax credit and nothing has changed but now it says I don't qualify because of HasCTCandODCInd?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Does anyone know what this means. I have always received child tax credit and nothing has changed but now it says I don't qualify because of HasCTCandODCInd?

How old is your child?  If the child is 17 at the end of 2022 then you no longer get the child tax credit.  Instead you will get the $500 credit for other dependents.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
abinns25

They are 9, 13, and 15 I have always claimed and received the child tax credit for dependents and now it's saying I'm not eligible and tells me it's because of the    HasCTCandODCInd which I cannot find anywhere a what that means or any info

Have you entered any taxable income?   Since you will not receive a W-2 until sometime in January, perhaps the reason it is saying you are not eligible is that you have not entered any income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@abinns25 - are you working on 2022 tax return?  the rules are different this year compared to 2021, so until you put in some income, there won't be any CTC.

try this - put in a dummy W-2 and throw in $50,000 - does the $6,000 credit show up? (It's up to $2000 per child this year). 

I have same situation here. Everything is almost identical to last year and will not show any child tax credit. It is mid January and I will normally run a draft of my taxes around now. I guess I will have to work through my taxes via the paper method and request a refund from Turbo Tax as now I am not trusting the software and will have to do it manually. Have tried putting in dummy numbers, etc. no change. 

@4myDonations This thread has become kind of a jumbled mess of posts from multiple users, so it is hard to tell what "same situation" you are saying that you have.   It seems like you are trying to get the child tax credit and it is not going well.

Have you entered your dependents and their Social Security numbers?  Are they under the age of 17?

Have you entered income that you earned from working in 2022?   If not, you are not going to get the CTC for 2022.  

If you did not work in 2022, you will not receive an income tax refund based on having dependent children.

The rules for getting the child tax credit on a 2021 tax return and now on a 2022 return are very different.  For 2021 you could get $3600 for a child under 6 or $3000 for a child between 6 and 17 even if you had no income/did not work.   That is NOT the way it will work for your 2022 tax return.  The “old” rules are back.   The maximum amount of the child tax credit is now $2000; the refundable “additional child tax credit” amount is $1500.   In order to get that credit, you have to have income from working.  The credit is calculated based on the amount you earned above $2500 multiplied by 15%, up to the full $1500.  If your child is older than 16 at the end of 2022, you do not get the CTC.  But you may still get the non-refundable $500 credit for other dependents instead.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-what-is-the-child-tax-credit

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/does-my-childdependent-qualify-for-the-child-tax-credit-or-the-credit-f...

And for the Earned Income Credit—-the rules are back to the “old” rules—

Those under 25 and over 65 without children are not eligible as they were uniquely in 2021.   And you cannot use your income from any earlier tax year to get the EIC for a 2022 return.  There is no “lookback” for 2022.  EIC for 2022 will be based on the income you earned by working in 2022.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

AND….If you have children but had no income, it raises the question of how you and the children were supported.  There may be another tax-paying adult who can claim you and/or the children as dependents.  

Look at your 2022 Form 1040 to see the child-related credits you received

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Child Tax Credit line 19

Credit for Other Dependents line 19

Earned Income Credit line 27

Additional Child Tax Credit line 28

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies