turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

westell

Do you have to enter HELOC interest under $5.00 when doing standard deductions? Turbotax rep told me yes, but when i do, it keeps asking me to review my info again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Do you have to enter HELOC interest under $5.00 when doing standard deductions? Turbotax rep told me yes, but when i do, it keeps asking me to review my info again?

HELOC interest paid could be a part of your itemized deductions. You don't have to enter it if you use standard deductions, it won't be deducted in that case.

westell

Hello,  Thank you for your prompt reply.  I am doing standard deductions, I saw on the web you don't have to enter the HELOC of interest if you are doing standard deductions.  I received a 1098 from my bank for it.  But the turbotax person told me today that regardless of the dollar amount i still had to enter it?   She told me if the IRS find out you got the 1098 for the $1.88 interest and didn't report it then the IRS may contact you.  Very frustrating...

There is a basic for the confusion. In some cases you can receive interest on you mortgage, then it is being reported on Form 1099-INT and it must be reported on your tax return. If you paid the interest and received Form 1098 form your lender, it is entirely your decision if you want to deduct it, there is no reporting requirements.  

westell

thank you for your prompt reply.   I enter the interest and it keeps coming back to "let review the info"    i will try another day,  a $1.88 interest shouldnt cause this much frustration.   I am new to this communication. So thank you for your help.  Do I get charged for asking questions?  🙂

You won't be charged for asking the questions. You're actually helping other users because they can have the same questions, and now they don't have to do hard work typing:)

As for the repeating issues, sometimes cleaning cash and cookies or rebooting your computer can solve them. 

westell

Thanks for the fyi/ tip about clearing the cookies.  Very interesting.   Have a good weekend and maybe I will talk to you again one day.  I truly appreciate your help.  Bye.

westell

I googled this issue on the web and someone from 2019 said turbo tax was doing the same thing in 2019.  do you know if the same glitch is happening now?  

RayW7
Expert Alumni

If you take the standard deduction then it would not be necessary to inter this information.

However, for TurboTax to determine if the standard deduction is the best option for filing it would be to your benefit to enter all items on Schedule A.

The federal Standard Deduction is a fixed dollar amount, based on your filing status and age, that the IRS lets you take off (deduct) from your taxable income.

On the other hand, itemizing deductions allows you to list (itemize) your deductions on Schedule A.

The IRS lets you either choose the "bundled" Standard Deduction or go "a la carte" and itemize your deductions. Naturally, most taxpayers want the one that gives them the most money back. After you've completed the Deductions & Credits section of TurboTax, we'll let you know which deduction gives you the biggest tax break.

AM [PII removed]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies