Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chuypr27

Do I qualify for EIC if I had Tax Exempt Income per IRS Notice 2014-7? This income is earned from IHSS in Ca.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Do I qualify for EIC if I had Tax Exempt Income per IRS Notice 2014-7? This income is earned from IHSS in Ca.

Yes.  A recent court case now makes Medicare waiver payments eligible for EIC, even though they are not taxable*.

EDITED 3/3/23: New this year (2022): 1. The IRS has provided a place to deduct (line 8s of Schedule 1) the nontaxable income (but still allow you to claim the Earned Income credit based on that income) and 2.TurboTax now smoothly handles it. Enter you W-2, as received, at the W-2 screen, in TurboTax. At the end of the W-2 screens, you will encounter a screen titled "Let's check for uncommon situations". Check the box at "Non taxable Medicare waiver payments that qualify as difficulty of care payments". On the next screen, indicate the amount (usually "all of it").

Old Answer:

It's a little tricky entering in TurboTax.  If you got a W-2 for the IHSS, enter it at the W-2 screen.

Then to back out the non-taxable part by making a separate negative entry as follows:

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in  Home & Business)

- Wages & Income

Scroll down to:

-Less Common Income

-Misc Income, 1099-A, 1099-C

- On the next screen, choose – Other reportable income 

- On the next screen, click yes

- On the next screen, you'll get blanks to enter the amount and a description.   Enter the description IRS Notice 2014-7 excludable income and enter the W-2 box 1 amount as a negative (-) number. This places an offset on line 8 of Schedule 1, making the income not taxed, but still eligible for EIC.

One requirement, for the income exclusion, is that it must be paid through a "Medicaid Waiver Program".   Another requirement is that you live with the care recipient .

*The Instructions to Form 1040 now state that you report it as taxable income on Line 1, then 'back it out'  on Line 8 (line 8z of Schedule 1, on more recent tax forms).  That way, that income will qualify for the Earned Income Credit. 

Certain Medicaid waiver payments you received for caring for someone living in your home with you may be nontaxable. If these payments were reported to you in box 1 of Form(s) W-2, include the amount on Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 1. Also, include on line 1 any Medicaid waiver payments you received that you choose to include in earned income for purposes of claiming a credit or other tax benefit, even if you did not receive a Form W-2 reporting these payments. On line 8, subtract the nontaxable amount of the payments from any income on line 8 and enter the result. If the result is less than zero, enter it in parentheses. Enter “Notice 2014-7” and the nontaxable amount on the dotted line next to line 8. For more information about these payments, see Pub. 525.

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. This will come in handy

oodonnaoo

Turbo tax checker will not let negative numbers be submitted on 2021, 2020, or 2019... 

I have to amendments due to Turbo tax making me over pay for years... some years I can not get the thousands of dollars we have overpaid!!

oodonnaoo

What Court case was this. Maybe the court would be interested in turbotax making us overpay thousands of dollars and making it very hard to do an amendment to recoup some of the taxes we have overpaid due to this glitch of not being able to enter a negative number in 2019,2020, and 2021 and not asking this question before.  This has been in place since 2014!!!! I have lost thousands of dollars for 2018 that I can't get back... What happened turbotax guarantee!!

Hi @TurboTax people,

To make it less confusing, could you please clearly state that the old way of filing tax-exempt earnings for Notice 2014-17 no longer applies in TurboTax 2022 because of tax changes for 2022.  IRS allows now for tax-exempt earnings for Notice 2014-17 to be qualified as income for the purpose of receiving Tax Income Credit.

Please also provide clear guidelines for how to report it in TurboTax 2022 if 1) you received W2 and Box "1" is blank, 2) you received W2 and Box 1 is not blank, 3) you received 1099 form.

So far I see different instructions from TurboTax on the subject for the scenario when you receive W2 form and Box "1" is blank.

Some instructions say that you need enter W2 as it is with Box "1" blank ,then check Medicare Waiver Payments check box on the next screen.  But if I leave Box "1" blank and check the check box, Turbo Tax does not allow e-filing and I have to file taxes by Mail. 

Other instructions say that you need to enter amount from Box "3" into Box "1" if you received W2 with Box "1" blank, then check the check box.  Then go to Deductions & Credits>Income Tax Credit and claim this amount for the credit.  If you do it in this way, Turbotax allows e-filing.

Please share clear and specific instructions how to file tax-exempt earnings for Notice 2014-17 for the above scenarios when a caregiver permanently lives with someone who receives the care.

Thanks.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, we have the most up to date information for you.  The steps are outlined in the link below to help step you through it. You can now choose to use these earnings for the earned income tax credit (EITC).

@sfydacha18 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies