turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Desktop is forcing STANDARDIZED deduction - FIX

Desktop is forcing STANDARD deduction even though the program and forms all say ITEMIZED and final numbers also wrong.

FIX

In FORMS mode go to Federal Worksheet Part VI.   That first box asking about Itemized MUST be checked.  OTHERWISE  the program will force the Standardized deduction even though the ITEMIZED is higher.   It will also affect your state taxes and will probably mean more money!   The problem usually occurs when the difference between Standardized and Itemized is close, but the solution means a significant change to your final numbers.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

If the numbers are within 300, will the Standard plus the "300 above the line charity deduction" be more than Itemized? 

If so, that might be the better option. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Because of a bug in the system there is no way to compare the difference unless you do my fix above.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

If the numbers are within 300, will the Standard plus the "300 above the line charity deduction" be more than Itemized? 

If so, that might be the better option. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How much are your Itemized Deductions?  The questions I've seen turn out that the Standard Deduction + the extra 300 for charity is more than your Itemized Deductions .  Check 1040 line 10b.

For the Desktop program

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check it 4 ways.

1 You can switch to Forms Mode and open A from the top of the left column.  Click on Open Form and pick schedule A out of the US list on the right side.

2 The easiest way is to go up to Show Topic List on the top bar and scroll down the list to

Standard Deduction vs Itemized Deductions

That takes you directly to the

The Standard [or Itemized] Deduction is Right for You screen

3 You can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by going up to Search and type in

itemized deductions, choosing

Then click on Jump to itemized deductions

Click on "Change my deduction.

4 OR go up to Federal (Personal for H&B)

Deductions and Credits

Click on Done with Deductions at bottom

Continue on though 3 screens and you will get to the Standard Deduction is right for You screen

That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

You may think you're changing your deduction method, but you are not.   In order to see the error just print it out and look on the paper return.   It says "Standardized"  no matter what you do in the program.   

IT IS A BUG IN THE PROGRAM.

THE FIX IS ABOVE IN MY ORIGINAL POST.

I suspect millions of people have filed as Standardized when they thought they were filing Itemized.  For me it meant the difference of 1250 bucks in my pocket!

Because of a bug in the system there is no way to compare the difference unless you do my fix above.

And yes this is ALL about when the numbers are within 300.

You can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using the Search Topics for "itemized deductions, choosing" (under "My Account, Tools" in the online versions). Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction. (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
scottmcm

Thanks for saving the day on this one.  TT on one page said it was using Itemized but on the other (and on the actual forms) it was using Standard.  I was within the $300 so I am sure it is why but isn't TT also supposed to notice that by Itemizing I SAVED $1000 on my state return while it only cost me $50 on Fed???  I hope those other folks who also fell victim to this bug were able to catch it in time.

scottmcm

This is not the best answer.  The downstream impact on state returns can be way more than the few bucks this saved on Federal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies