Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depletion Allowance showing on Form 8582

I get royalty income (not working interest).  TT computes depletion allowance apparently when the K-1 has a code T in Box 20.  The depletion allowance is added to passive losses on Form 8582 incorrectly.  The depletion should show on Schedule E, which can be entered manually.  Another poster suggested removing Code T when entering the K-1 detail, but that does not seem to change the data in Form 8582.  How can the Form 8582 be corrected (it does not allow manual edits)?  The additional expense results in an incorrect passive loss computation.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

So, I was able to fix the depletion allowance and royalty income issue related to improperly showing on Form 8582.  First I had to report royalties on a different line of the K-1 despite the way it was reported to me (there is a specific line for royalties) and I had to correct the K-1 supporting page which is appears to auto-populate when it sees Code T in box 20.  Simply remove the depletion allowance information on the supporting schedule.  Then it is only reported on Schedule E as required.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends.  To clarify, where does the entry appear in form 8582 and how should it appear correctly?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, I was able to fix the depletion allowance and royalty income issue related to improperly showing on Form 8582.  First I had to report royalties on a different line of the K-1 despite the way it was reported to me (there is a specific line for royalties) and I had to correct the K-1 supporting page which is appears to auto-populate when it sees Code T in box 20.  Simply remove the depletion allowance information on the supporting schedule.  Then it is only reported on Schedule E as required.

TT was treating the net royalty income and depletion allowance as a passive property, just like rental properties.  The income was treated as current passive income and the depletion as a current non-deductible passive loss to be carried forward.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies