Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claim expenses for 2021 before April filing

Had some expenses come up would like to claim them before filing for 2021 is that possible
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Please clarify your question. What type of expenses are your trying to claim before April filing?

Taxpayers report on the calendar year, so you would [not] be able to 2022 expenses on your 2021 return. If you are waiting on some paperwork you can file an extension.

An extension gives you more time to file but not more time to pay. Enter your estimated expenses and pay what's owed and file when you get the actual numbers.

You can e-file your federal tax extension in minutes with TurboTax Easy Extension

Using TurboTax Easy Extension, you can:

• E-file your federal extension
  • Make a payment of any tax due directly from your checking or savings account
  • Print a PDF copy of your e-filed extension
  • Receive notifications when your extension has been accepted by the IRS
  • Get easy instructions on how to file a state extension by mail

Filing an Income Tax Extension

Edited to add Not 03/12/2022 | 17:42 PT

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think Ernie means you would NOT be able to claim 2022 expenses on your 2021 return.    You can only enter expenses you paid in 2021.  What do you want to expense?   Or what are you asking about?

Like investments need to be in before April 15 what about getting business expenses claimed for 2021 before filing in April 

Down payment for lease on car used in business 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You should a consolidated Form 1099 from your broker before April 18 (that's this year's deadline). Sometimes brokers will make revisions, but they are almost always done before the tax filing deadline. I would not file my return until I got all my broker information.

I don't understand why you would not have information about a business lease if you entered the lease in 2021.

If you don't think you have all the information to file a complete and accurate return, then you should file an extension.

Ok so let me better explain this we lease a vehicle for our business we just replaced it with a different vechicle leasing this one also. They say you have until April 15 to to make deposits into retirement accts for your taxes so can you not claim the down payment on lease vechicle on 2021 taxes before I file April15 

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Retirement account contributions and a down payment on a leased car are not the same type of category of transactions.

A lease down payment and car lease payments must be reported in the tax year they are paid, so if you are filing a 2021 calendar year return, the payments had to happen in 2021.

Retirement account contributions can be contributed as if they were made in 2021 as long as they are contributed prior to the filing deadline of the business return.

@grandpax5

Correct

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you want to enter contributions to a Traditional or Roth IRA, follow these instructions.

If you want to enter IRA distributions reported on Form 1099-R, follow these instructions.

Where do I enter my SEP IRA contributions?

End of Year Retirement Tips

All of your business expenses, including vehicle expenses, get entered on to Schedule C.   Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and supplies?   Click that link for instructions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies