Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

choosing standard deduction up front

I have itemized other years, but since the standard deduction doubled a few years ago, I haven't needed to.  I've gone ahead and added things when I thought it might be close.  Now I want to choose the standard deduction up front and not fill in all of the other potential deductions because I know it's not going to matter.  How do I do that?  It's automatically showing me all of the places to which we've made charitable donations and asks if we did again in 2022.  Yes, we did, but do I need to say no?

It seems likely that I'm going to have to clear the form I've already started, but the lefthand column on here doesn't have the wording I need to do that as shown in the short TTax video.  I know I've done it other years, so I don't know what the problem is.  

I can't use the free version because I need to include HSA and IRA information, but a) how do I get this cleared out, and b) how do I bypass filling in all of the things that would come under itemizing?  

Thanks for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Unless you enter enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction you are going to automatically get the standard deduction.  You do not have to "choose" it.  And....since some states allow itemized deductions even if you use standard deduction on your federal return, it does not hurt (and might help) to go ahead and enter the deductions on your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900142-how-can-i-tell-which-deduction-standard-or-itemized-i-m-us...

Your standard deduction lowers your taxable income.  It is not a refund.  You will see your standard or itemized deduction amount on line 12 of your 2022 Form 1040.

2022 STANDARD DEDUCTION AMOUNTS

SINGLE $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING JOINTLY $25,900  (65 or older + $1400 per spouse)

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD  $19,400  (65 or older +$1750)

Legally Blind + $1750

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

The following states allow you to itemize deductions on just the state return: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, and Wisconsin, 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I don't want to have to fill in ANY of it.  I know taking the standard deduction is better, and "filling it in anyway" means digging up medical records that weren't kept particularly well last year as well as adding up charitable donations to 12 or 15 places, some of which include both cash an in-kind donations.  I did finally find the way to clear my form, but  why would I want to go to the trouble of filling all of that in?  I think the program wants to default me back to what I've done before.  

You can skip entering the itemized stuff.  Just skip it if you want to skip it.   You are not required to itemize.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks.  I was finally able to find the place to clear everything out, and when I went back and started again, I could figure out where to do that.   It didn't show up the same however I started it the first time.   

how do i use the standard deduction up front

@franktavcar You get standard deduction automatically without doing anything.  Unless you force itemizing or enter enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction, the software will use standard deduction by default.

Your standard deduction lowers your taxable income.  It is not a refund.  You will see your standard or itemized deduction amount on line 12 of your 2022 Form 1040.

2022 STANDARD DEDUCTION AMOUNTS

SINGLE $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY $12,950  (65 or older + $1750)

MARRIED FILING JOINTLY $25,900  (65 or older + $1400 per spouse)

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD  $19,400  (65 or older +$1750)

Legally Blind + $1750

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies