turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

icefyre123
Returning Member

Charitable donation to a private school

Hello, 

I am looking to make a sizeable donation to a private school in a different state. My kids will not attend the school but I believe in its mission. This is a Jewish day school but I don't believe it is a non-profit. Would I be able to write off my donation to the school in next year's tax returns?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If the school is a for-profit institution then any donations to the school are not deductible on a tax return as a charitable donation.

you get no charitable deduction for contributing to a for-profit organization.

rather than guess  

• Check with the organization to which you'll make the donation. The organization should be able to provide you with verification of its charitable status.
• Use our the IRS online search tool at
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search 

icefyre123
Returning Member

The school says it is a 501(c)(3) organization. Would donations to this type of organization be considered tax deductible?

@icefyre123 wrote:

The school says it is a 501(c)(3) organization. Would donations to this type of organization be considered tax deductible?

Yes.

See this TurboTax website for information - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/charitable-contributions/are-contributions-to-nonprofit-schools...

The Internal Revenue Code allows taxpayers to claim a deduction for donations they make to qualified organizations. A qualified organization includes most nonprofit schools that operate exclusively for educational and literary purposes. However, a donation may not be tax deductible if the school engages substantially in other activities unrelated to charitable, scientific, humanitarian or religious purposes.

501(c)(3) is one of the type of organizations that are eligible for tax-exempt donations.  The organization must be listed on the IRS web site linked above.   They must also give you a receipt if your donation is more than $75. You must also have a bank record of any money donation (credit card transaction record, canceled check, etc.)

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies