Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Charitable contributions if you take the standard deduction 2021

Same here. Support posted in another discussion that they are working on an update. Hope it gets done quickly so we can file early. 

jdoing

Turbotax needs to update from the 2020 rule where it was $300 per family unit so my wife and I only counted as 1, thus $300 deduction. This year it's $600 and I had to change it twice because Turbotax changed it back to $300 twice. 

Changing value back to 600 at the error window and then skipping 2nd check worked. I was able to e-file while maintaining the 600 value on the fed 1040. I would advise that you read your state tax form instructions to be sure you're not required to adjust for the 600 deduction if you take this route. My state didn't mention it, unlike last year where the 300 contribution had to be added back on state return. Good luck guys. 

TT is only giving me a standard charitable deduction of $300 where it should be $600 when filing jointly. So how do I fix this ?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@Helmut2339

You can correct this by logging back into your TurboTax program and following the steps below.

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.
  2. Select the Deductions & Credits tab.
  3. On the screen titled How do you want to enter your deductions and credits?, select I'll choose what I work on.
  4. Scroll down to Charitable Donations.
  5. Select Update to the right of Donations to Charity in 2021.
  6. You will see a screen titled Review All Your Charities.
  7. To the right of any deductions entered, select Delete to remove any input.
  8. You will then select Done with Charitable Donations.
  9. On the next page (Deductions), scroll down to the bottom and click on Done with Deductions.
  10. Proceed through the following screens until you pass the screen letting you know you are getting the Standard Deduction.  
  11. The next screen titled Charitable Cash Contributions under the Care Act will allow you to enter your charitable contributions for 2021.  Enter your total cash contributions on this screen and select Continue.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Darryl69

Turbo tax federal review gives a review check error for line entry 1040 line 12b for $300 and $600 if you take the Standard Deduction, so when will this entry programing error be fixed by turbo tax?

Darryl69

This is a good work around for the programing error, BUT turbo tax programers should fix this, because it should not be an error for line 12b (1040).  kinda defeats the whole purpose of having an automated program with an error that a user has to work around.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@Darryl69

TurboTax programmers are working to resolve this issue, however, it is not the only issue being corrected.  The work around is a good option until we can implement a fix.  It is not as simple as it sounds to correct and implement fixes.  Customers are first priority and making the system work correctly is key.

I asked the initial question. It seems to be resolved on my taxes -- I see the full $600 married filing-jointly. Should I be concerned or did I just accidentally do the workaround?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

No, you should not be concerned. As awesome tax expert @DoninGA indicated the amount for married filing jointly is $600 in addition to the standard deduction for 2021.

You should be confident your return is ready to file with the correct charitable contribution deduction.

@MarylandRetriever

[Edited: 02/11/2022 | 1:22p PST]

debt56
Returning Member

I am helping a friend with there taxes they do the free online 1040-SR Amount for married filing jointly is $600 in addition to the standard deduction for 2021. Worked great for federal and we submitted and was accepted.  State-California was was rejected and said the number was in correct. Is california  declaring the deduction and how do I make the changes and resubmit california return.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are currently working to get this issue resolved. Please try again tomorrow as the issue should be resolved @debt56

HF48
Returning Member

Thank you. 

This seems to work.

DPNJ
Level 3

Still not carrying over the deduction permitted if you don't itemize.  Anyone dealing with currently?

Mulally

I'm having the same issue.  Going round and round now for a half hour.  Hopefully, if I try some advice here I can escape this Tubo Tax trap.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies