turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhea

Can i deduct the monthly space rentals i pay for my mobile home in California? What form should i expect from the landlord?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Can i deduct the monthly space rentals i pay for my mobile home in California? What form should i expect from the landlord?

No, unfortunately you cannot deduct the monthly space rental fees for your mobile home that is your residence.  If you move out and rent it out, you could deduct this as a Rental Property Expense. 

You can deduct Mortgage Interest and Property Tax (which may actually be a Vehicle Tax for a mobile home).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Beckynrp

What is I rent a room in my mobile home? Can I write off the space rent and utilities?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The state of California has a Non-Refundable Renters Tax Credit.  You may be able to claim this credit if you paid rent for at least 1/2 of the year.   There is a spot to enter this when you go through the CA resident income tax return interview in TurboTax.   You can see how the credit is calculated here.   It does not get entered anywhere on your federal return, but you will have the option to claim it on the state return if you otherwise qualify for it.  

You can deduct the portion of your expenses that relate to the room you are renting.  However, you need to include the rental income as taxable income as well.   @Beckynrp

To enter rental income and expenses on your federal tax return, please see Where do I enter my rental income and expenses   If you are renting out a room or a portion of your home, you have to divide up your expenses between the portion you are receiving rent income for and the remainder of the property (personal expenses).    

Beckynrp

Can I write off half the expense since I rent a room but allow my tenant to use the living room and kitchen area and there are two rooms in total?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You can deduct expenses, but you have to claim income as well.

Click this link for more info on reporting rental income and expenses When You Rent Out a Room in Your Home

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies