Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I claim expenses before the business is open?

Gotcha - this should be a problem! Thanks @Anonymous !!

So I just created the business in NJ today 1/27/2022.  Tax ID created last year.  I realize I can write off the FED start up and/or expenses but will that cause an issue in NJ because the business was not licensed yet?  When the software transmits the federal info, can that same info be an issue when transmitted to NJ?

So I just created the business in NJ today 1/27/2022.  Tax ID created last year.  I realize I can write off the FED start up and/or expenses but will that cause an issue in NJ because the business was not licensed yet?  When the software transmits the federal info, can that same info be an issue when transmitted to NJ?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

No, it should not cause an issue with NJ Division of Taxation unless such expense allowed on your federal return is specifically exempted by NJ.  For example, New Jersey does not allow federal deductions, such as mortgage interest, employee business expenses, and IRA and Keogh Plan contributions.  The assumption here is that the expenses you intend to take on your federal return were incurred in 2021, and once your federal return is completed, then the net profit or loss from your business will be entered on your 2021 NJ return.

There does appear to be two different considerations here, one relating to taxation and one relating to licensure (the ability to legally conduct a business in NJ).  While your start-up business expenses, allowed on your federal return, do not appear to be specifically exempted by NJ, whether your ownership and operation of a NJ business prior to license (if that was the case) is another matter for which we cannot offer any advice.

With regard to doing business in NJ and NJ taxes related to doing business, below are two links that you might find helpful. 

Starting a Business in New Jersey

NJ Division of Taxation

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies