turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cashpoor1

Can I be considered in the transportation industry if I transport adults with intellectual disabilities in my car to various activities and doctor appointments?

Can I be considered in the transportation industry if I use my car to transport people?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I be considered in the transportation industry if I transport adults with intellectual disabilities in my car to various activities and doctor appointments?

Why are you asking that question?   What are you trying to do?   You are posting from online Deluxe, so it does not appear that you are entering self-employment income.   Do you get a W-2 for your wages?   Or do you get a 1099-NEC?   

If you are a W-2 employee you cannot deduct any job-related expenses on your federal return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

To be considered in the transportation industry you must be subject to the DOT rules and regulations :

Per DOT requirements, any driver operating a vehicle with a weight capacity of 10,001 pounds or more, a vehicle transporting 8 or more personnel (including the driver), or a vehicle transporting hazardous material that requires placarding is required to have a driver qualification (DQ) file. This necessary qualification is separate from commercial driver's license (CDL), and the application for each is therefore slightly different.

https://www.lytx.com/en-us/resources/articles/dot-regulations-requirements#:~:text=Drivers%20must%20....

Do you drive people to and from their destination, and take compensation for that?

That's  a taxi service or ride sharing service.

Passengers with disabilities are no different than passengers without disabilities.

@cashpoor1 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies