turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Been trying to finish my deductions for a few days and the donations to charity don't seem to be working or picking up values. Is something wrong with the software?

I have deleted my donations and tried to re-enter in various ways, but it doesn't seem to pick up the entries. I tried to put in a donation for a monthly recurring and it didn't accept. I tried to put in a cash donation for a one-time item and it didn't accept.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Been trying to finish my deductions for a few days and the donations to charity don't seem to be working or picking up values. Is something wrong with the software?

If you are using the Standard Deductions please follow the steps below:

Click Tax Tools on the left side bar

Click Tools from the drop-down

Click the "Topic Search" box on the screen

Type or scroll down to    standard deduction and exemptions

Click GO 

The next screen gives you an option to change your selection from Standard to Itemized and back. You do not need to change your selection

Scroll down to the bottom of that screen and click CONTINUE

The next screen is the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act screen

IF YOU ARE CLAIMING STANDARD DEDUCTION enter the amount of cash contributions you made, up to  300

IF YOU ARE ITEMIZING DEDUCTIONS enter 0

Scroll down and click Continue

Click Continue on the next screen

The new "up to $300 above the line cash charity donation" is available for tax year 2020. This allows a Taxpayer to claim up to a $300 credit which is subtracted from income on the 1040 line 10c if the Taxpayer is claiming the Standard Deduction. (If you Itemize Deductions, all your donations will be listed on Schedule A.) 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply, but it still isn't working. I completely deleted all the entries and did what you recommended. When I get into the Charitable Donations screen, I input the data and hit the continue button and it erases the data. So nothing is getting saved and I can't finalize my taxes because this section isn't working. I wish there was a better help system, so I may have to file elsewhere.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax customer service using the FAQ link provided below so that you can get assistance with this issue:

TurboTax customer service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies