Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are legal fees to challenge a property upset sale deductible if the property is used for both home

We did get the upset sale overturned and were able to keep our property. But without the court challenge to the upset sale, we would have lost our home AND my home workplace, where I've been working for 20 years.  The workplace at home is a video/photo/audio production studio, not simply a home office with a desk
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Are legal fees to challenge a property upset sale deductible if the property is used for both home

Assuming you are self-employed you will need to allocate the costs according to the amount of space used for the business in your home.  It would be part of the "Home Office" deduction in TurboTax under the self-employment topic.  TurboTax will help with the allocation based on your entries for square footage of the home office and entire home.

However if you are an employee who is working from home, there is no longer a deduction for employee business expenses, including a home office.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, in other words, if 35% of my home's floor space were used for my home office, then 35% of the legal fees used to support our upset sale challenge cold be deducted?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, but that could also be limited by the income you produced from the home office. If limited by your gross income then the excess could be carried over to the next year.  TurboTax will help you with the calculations as you go through the interview.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies