Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cczarnik

Anyone having trouble with the Alternative Vehicle Refueling Property Credit? Says the personal portion of the credit is currently $0.

I ran the wizard, entered the costs of my car charger I installed, did NOT select business use, and when I land on the summary screen for the section it calculates the personal portion as zero and the business portion as zero.  I don't think I'm in an AMT situation, this just looks like some kind of calcuation error?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Anyone having trouble with the Alternative Vehicle Refueling Property Credit? Says the personal portion of the credit is currently $0.

8 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Keep in mind the Alternative Vehicle Refueling Property Credit is non-refundable. If there are zero taxes on your return (1040, line 18) then the credit will be zero.  If you still have inputs to make that generate an income tax on line 18, the credit will show up on line 20 to reduce that tax to zero (up to $1000 credit available).  Once the tax is zero any remaining credit is lost.  

You can preview your 1040 following these steps.

1. Click "Tax Tools" in the left hand menu
  2. Click "Tools"
  3. Click "View Tax Summary"
  4. Click "Preview My 1040" in the left hand menu

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cczarnik

I have taxes due, that's not the problem.  It's not calculating the credit.

cczarnik

Thank you.  Would have been nice for the app to tell me that!

Check the REVIEW tab. 

Lampetra

Now it says 3/17!

jwevans1

Here we are on March 14, and this is still not working.   This was supposed to have been fixed now, according to this link (I have the OS X Desktop version of TurboTax Premier).   Despite spending over $4k on my charger installation, TurboTax is still showing me $0 for the Alternative Vehicle Refueling Property Credit.  Interestingly, if I select I use this station for a business vehicle and enter some percentage, then a credit does appear, so it seems to incorrectly assume that the credit is only available for businesses?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

There is both a personal credit and a business credit available on Form 8911.    If you buy a battery-powered car and install new EVCSE at your main home to recharge its batteries, you may be able to trim your tax bill through the Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit.

The maximum credit is $1,000 or 30 percent of the installation cost, whichever is lower. Should you move to a new home during the year and install recharging equipment at the new residence, you can claim 30 percent of the cost of both installations up to a maximum of $2,000.    The credit is non-refundable, meaning that if your tax liability is already reduced to 0, you won't see any credit.   You can look at Form 8911 to see if this occurred.    Line 14 shows your tax liability and then Line 16 show your tax liability after other credits.   If this line is 0, no credit will calculate.   

Dispensing business incentive

To get the personal deduction, search for 8911 and use the Jump to 8911 link.   You will land on the Your Home section of Deductions and Credits.   Click Start next to Home Energy Credits.  @jwevans1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies