Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rkong1994
Returning Member

Allocating IRA deductions when filing multiple states

I am filing for IN and IL and would like to allocate my IRA deductions. I can't find any options in TurboTax to allocate the IRA deductions; instead, TurboTax automatically allocated my deductions. The automatic deduction from TurboTax is incorrect, and I would like to know how I can change the allocations.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What do you mean "allocate"?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
rkong1994
Returning Member

When I worked for job A in IN, I only contributed $100 in traditional IRA, and contributed the rest of $5900 when I worked for job B in IL. Right now, I am not seeing a $100 deduction in my IN income, instead, I am seeing close to a $1000 deduction (TurboTax somehow automatically allocated $1000 IRA deduction towards IN and $5000 towards IL). Due to other deductions in IN return, my final number for IN return remains the same for both a $100 or $1000 deduction. However, for my IL return, I can get an extra $50 if I can "allocate" the entire $5900 deduction for IL income. According to another post, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/ira-deduction-multiple-states/00/390059 , it makes more sense to allocate my IRA deductions to the state based on where I was a resident of when the IRA contribution was made.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies