turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adding a dependent

Hi. So my boyfriend did not get his first stimulus check. He got his second. He was going to request it on his taxes and I was going to claim him as a dependent. If I claim him, will he still be able to request that missing 1,200? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Adding a dependent

You have it backwards.  The recovery rebate credit is based on 2020.   The checks that were issued last year were sent out n in a hurry so they used 2018 or 2019 returns----but the stimulus checks are an advance on a credit on 2020 tax returns.   Someone who did not receive either the first or second stimulus check can get it on their 2020 tax returns IF they are eligible in 2020.   A person being claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2020 tax return is not eligible.   So if you claim him he does not get the $1200 , nor will he get the 3rd stimulus---which at this point has not even been passed.

Read the criteria to claim your BF and if he qualifies to be your dependent---you get a $500 credit for other dependents on your 2020 return.   They will not award him a stimulus check based on 2019 now.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/what-does-financially-support-another-per...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Adding a dependent

Dependents do not receive stimulus checks.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Adding a dependent

So I didn’t claim him in 2019, and he didn’t get the $1,200 but got the $600. He wants to request the $1,200 he didn’t get. Can he still do that even though I’ll be adding him as a dependent on my 2020 since it’s based on 2019 taxes?

Adding a dependent

You have it backwards.  The recovery rebate credit is based on 2020.   The checks that were issued last year were sent out n in a hurry so they used 2018 or 2019 returns----but the stimulus checks are an advance on a credit on 2020 tax returns.   Someone who did not receive either the first or second stimulus check can get it on their 2020 tax returns IF they are eligible in 2020.   A person being claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2020 tax return is not eligible.   So if you claim him he does not get the $1200 , nor will he get the 3rd stimulus---which at this point has not even been passed.

Read the criteria to claim your BF and if he qualifies to be your dependent---you get a $500 credit for other dependents on your 2020 return.   They will not award him a stimulus check based on 2019 now.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/what-does-financially-support-another-per...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies