turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bshad74

3 kids, 2020 income lower than 2019 - TT switched to 2019 income to calculate EIC

but the number as 2019 earned income pulled automatically into 2020 return is some number that I do not recognize being the EI for 2019 - even though I have looked as per the instruction "where to look for 2019 EI".

Hypothetically:

w2 income - 130000

Schedule 1 deductions - 26000

Taxable income - 104000 (AGI)

Standard deduction - 24000

Taxable income - 80000 (is this the EI) - if it is, why TT is putting say 95000 in 2020 tax return as EI from 2019?

Am I missing something?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

3 kids, 2020 income lower than 2019 - TT switched to 2019 income to calculate EIC

Yes, earned income is money that was earned rather than investments. Which looks like it would be $130,000 from your example but your schedule 1 losses may include income that was being worked for- at a loss, to bring you down to $95k.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Okay but how is 95k calculated? Schedule 1 losses only bring 130000 to 104k.  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@TXDAD Don't confuse the form total with all the moving pieces inside of it.

sch 1 is comprised of many different items. There could $90,000 in losses from one thing and $20,000 in gains for something else and so on. There are so many parts and pieces, it would be easy to have the loss from active income on sch 1 affecting EIC while other passive activities are changing sch 1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I guess I am going to leave the default number TT is pulling. Regardless of what number I put there, the outcome never changes i.e. the refund doesn't change.  Thank

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies