Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KKB1
Level 1

2021 Form 1116 Schedule B (carryovers) can't efile

It is March 8, 2022, 5:30 PM.  Form 1116 is still not available. The Link to get updates on availability is NOT working.  It keeps sending message that the page is viewable only if you are signed in.  You may sign in 4 times, as I did, but still the same message. TurboTax/Intuit, please improve your service, PLEASE. Get the Form 1116 working ASAP.

@KKB1 wrote:

It is March 8, 2022, 5:30 PM.  Form 1116 is still not available. The Link to get updates on availability is NOT working.  It keeps sending message that the page is viewable only if you are signed in.  You may sign in 4 times, as I did, but still the same message. TurboTax/Intuit, please improve your service, PLEASE. Get the Form 1116 working ASAP.

This link is working...

Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit is available

Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit for AMT is available

Form 1116 Schedule B, Foreign Tax Carryover Reconciliation Schedule will be available in TurboTax for printing on 03/10/2022 and for e-filing on 03/11/2022

Go to this TurboTax website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

I use TaxSlayer with a volunteer organization and have a copy of TS Classic. When creating a personal return with a Foreign Tax Carryforward, it creates a "Supporting Statements for Form 1116: PASSIVE CATEGORY INCOME".

However I have been unable to determine if the IRS will accept this supporting statement in lieu of 1116 Schedule B.

TS "Help" supplied a stock answer to an unrelated Form 1116 question.

Young Lim
Returning Member

i experienced same problem with the message saying Form 1116 has a value on line 10 Carryover Foreign tax for Schedule B line 3.... and cannot e-file.

So if Turbotax now not supporting this e-file,  are you suggesting to move the entire Tax File Return to another software to fix this ..  do they automatically upload/import all the tax data from the Turbotax data file?

it is very frustrating as this is the only form that TT ask for print to mail..  

any other better suggestions as i have been using TT for decades

@Young Lim wrote:

i experienced same problem with the message saying Form 1116 has a value on line 10 Carryover Foreign tax for Schedule B line 3.... and cannot e-file.

So if Turbotax now not supporting this e-file,  are you suggesting to move the entire Tax File Return to another software to fix this ..  do they automatically upload/import all the tax data from the Turbotax data file?

it is very frustrating as this is the only form that TT ask for print to mail..  

any other better suggestions as i have been using TT for decades

Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit is available

Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit for AMT is available

Form 1116 Schedule B, Foreign Tax Carryover Reconciliation Schedule will be available in TurboTax for printing on 03/10/2022 and for e-filing on 03/11/2022

Go to this TurboTax website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

DoninGA, thanks for responding to people new to the question with the current status.  A helpful thing to do.  TT may have an influx of e-filed returns on March 11th; I have two waiting. 

Subscribing. 

Turbotax has been a stinky heap of manure this year.  I can't believe they tried to get away with forcing Premium users to manually file because of 1116 Schedule B, until they were eventually forced to roll that change back in response to a (justified) user backlash.  I'm absolutely looking into alternative filing devices next year.

I say cut them some slack.  They ultimately did the right thing.  I was mad, same as you, and considered moving away from them next year.  But the fact that they decided to respond favorably to this problem is good enough to keep me.  I'll stick with them.

surbas

Before you switch check whether you have enough investments with Fidelity (or whoever you use) to get Turbotax free. I didn't realize this until last year's filing. Secondly, my guess is TT is going to get this fixed in the next week or two which is going to be much faster and much less work/stress than switching. Worse case if I have to print and send I don't see that as a big deal. Am I missing something?

Some people are new to this forum. First this is a forum of users if you want to vent call Turbo Tax. Before questioning  Google to find a common thread you are looking for and through the thread, the answer many times is there for you without needing to post a question.

Finally re: Form 1116 B this form was not timely approved by the IRS for e-filing.  The IRS did not approve  the schedule B until December 2021.   

Sure Turbo Tax should have communicated this better and sooner, no doubt.  In the end form 1116 has been up and running for a little while and Schedule B is to be ready for paper filing tomorrow 3-10 and for e-filing 3-11. The same is true for the AMT Schedule B.  Hope this helps. 

Hi Tall Todd -

Thanks so much for posting the response from the Office of the President.  I'm hoping Intuit is serious about the March 31 date to make Form 1116, Schedule B, available for e-filing.  No other option than for me to wait several more weeks to finish the taxes.  I had read that some people are deciding to skip the credit and take the deduction instead, therefore not having to file Form 1116, but I tried that scenario in TT and it increased our taxes due by $1,265.  I'm not willing to do that, and I don't want to file a paper tax return either.  So I guess I'll just wait and will watch this thread for more news.  Thanks again for posting.

@Imabuckeye 

Thanks, DoninGA -

I should have read to the bottom of this long thread.  As soon as I posted I scrolled down and saw the good news.  Thanks for letting me know - March 11 is the day.

I too have been frustrated with some of the forms incompleteness, of which this issue is the biggest, but TT/Intuit is very much at the mercy of the IRS who has been changing these forms very late in the game. Not much Intuit can do but try and react as quickly as possible. 

Are you sure by checking the box “Not using FTC carryover this year (2021) "that the prior year supporting schedules will be deleted, especially if there is a IRS 10 year carry forward period.

I filed an amended 2019 return by mail in early April 2021 and carried back some of my 2020 FTC as permi ted by IRS regulations. Still could not use all the remainder of 2020 FTC in 2021 and I am stymied by this Schedule  B requirement to Form 1116. I could use some of the FTS credit that remains from 2020 in 2021!

The IRS website IRS.gov for Forms and Publications has the Schedule B to Form 1116 released in December 2021. Is there a new Schedule B and instructions to Form 1116 to be released 3/31/22?

BTW it took the IRS over 10 months to process my amended 2019 return that was filed early April 2021. I do not want to file by mail and be caught up in the processing delay that now exists. Delayed processing for regular tax refund or credit to next year will effect by estimated tax payments for 2022!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies